Charter savings

Options
Morning All
Looking to move from Virgin and utilising the services of Charter bank,any comments good or bad please.

Comments

• mjmal51
    mjmal51 Posts: 595 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Had an account with them since shortly after their start up, 90 day notice account. Easy to use, decent interest and not had any problems.
  • bowlhead99
    bowlhead99 Posts: 12,295 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Post of the Month
    Options
    Their bank brand is relatively new but the parent company picked up a very high ranking in the latest Times 'best 100 companies to work for (http://appointments.thesundaytimes.co.uk/article/best100companies/). So regardless of customer service awards and best buy accolades, that kind of thing can give you some comfort that as a new challenger bank they are trying to build up a good reputation of one sort or another, and so are unlikely to go and immediately start screwing people over (staff or customers).

If you're considering the 1 year bond which is currently at the top of the interest rate tables on MSE, then it's online and you put your money in at the beginning and take it out at the end and don't need any service in between. So would seem fine to go with a relatively unknown but UK based bank. If you are looking at the notice accounts which are also good payers, then if the rates change for the worse you can easily go back to Virgin or off to others.

So, no obvious red flags (although as you can imagine, a bank brand which hasn't been going for more than a couple of years is not necessarily going to have built up a well established pattern of good or bad service). They have FSCS protection which is the key thing.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I have had a one year bond since June 2015 and a 90 day notice account since November 2015. Good rates.Opening procedures very easy to navigate. Initial deposit by cheque or bank transfer for both accounts. Subsequent deposits (for the notice account) by bank transfer only, from an account which you nominate as part of the opening procedure (you can change this later online, if necessary). Website very clear and easy to use. When you make deposits by bank transfer, you receive an email confirming receipt. I have only had to phone once when I lost internet access due to my error in inputting user name. Very impressed with the service. Straight through to a live human being who helped efficiently and without fuss. Very calm and clear oral communication, appeared well trained. So far, I'm very happy.
  • metrobus
    metrobus Posts: 1,784 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I opened a 2 year fixed rate bond on Thursday.

Everything very easy and quick.

Only problem was when setting up a payment from my bank for my initial deposit.Charter say to put in your account# then. Slash followed by your username in the reference box,however most banks do not let you use a character other than letters and numbers eg 87544569-Smith but that brings up an error message with some banks.
  • david78
    david78 Posts: 1,654 Forumite
    Options
    For the account reference, you can just put a space between number and surname

12345678 Smith

Max number of characters is 18. Number is 8 characters. For longer names (more than 9 characters) you can just truncate:

12345678 Williamson

becomes

1234567 Williamso
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills