Composite Door with Frame

Options
isotonic_uk
isotonic_uk Posts: 350 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 18 September 2014 at 1:40PM in Is this quote fair?
Hi

Just wondering if this quote sounds about right?

We have an arch at our front and the original front door for the house inside the arch which we going to keep but we looking for a composite door Double rebated with an aluminium low threshold as well as the frame around it which will have additional glass on the sides and at the top of the arch.

my knowledge on these doors are very limited, we have a number of quotes from the top end (e.g. Everest) to mid range and the price we have had back is about £2500 including knocker, glass style and other bits and pieces. It is a secure by design (so recommended by the police) and is a point lock system, and one that doesnt lock behind you if you leave your keys inside (forgot what the name of that was), think it was called lever lever lock.

security wise it looks quite reassuring, due to the size of the drive and space between this door and the internal arch front door it needs to open out as well which is what we have requested.

If we went for a UPVC low threshold it will cost slightly less of about £2300.

We live in the west Midlands and I just want to know if this cost for a door and frame is about right. I am happy with the fitter and the company are well established and have been doing it for over 25 years but its the price that a concern.

Would I be better of looking around? I am money saver but I have been impressed with the door quality. There probably isn't a muchness with comparable composite doors (i think) but before I commit I thought I would ask the question. It need to be manufactured in Ireland and will take about 4 weeks to get fitted.

Any advice on this would be most appreciated.

Thank You

Comments

• Furts
    Furts Posts: 4,474 Forumite
    Options
    Secured by Design is a marketing tool, with manufacturers paying to have this status. But, it is better to have peace of mind with this, provided you are not paying extra for the privilege.

The problem with Secured by Design is how do you know your door has been tested, and to which tests, applicable at which month/year, has this test now been superseded, is there a better test available...you get my drift. It is all an element of sales BS trotted out by those who often have not got a clue.

Now for your door. All composite doors are made to measure an opening and come with a frame. Consequently it is usual to wait whilst an order is processed, the door is made and then delivered. This all takes time.

Flyers through my letterbox were advertising acceptable composite doors, with frame, made to measure at around £749-£849. These were regular offers a year ago - I have not looked since. Hence you have to establish what value you are getting for the additional cost you are being asked to pay. My intuition is that you are being taken for a ride.
  • docmatt
    docmatt Posts: 915 Forumite
    Options
    Where in the midlands? We are in Sutton Coldfield and used the plastics depot in Birmingham and would deffo suggest you call them. I'm a money saver too, turns out they make the doors and sell to the window companies who make their bit. Might be worth a call just Google their number as not got it to hand.
    We bought our rockdoor from them and saved about 300 quid but I don't think they make the rock doors though...
  • RealWindowPrices
    Options
    Hi Isotonic, i'm not sure if I'm reading your query right but if you are replacing the whole arch with an arch shape frame and composite door then £2500 is slightly dear i'd personally try and get that down to around £2000, however if you are purely replacing the existing door in the arch then as Furt said a composite door supplied and fitted shouldn't set you back any more than around £800.
  • suisidevw
    suisidevw Posts: 2,256 Forumite
    Options
    On the back of this we've been quoted £1300 for a Rockdoor Newark door to include the frame, glass over the side etc. It's a 30's house so will look spot on and I haven't read any bad reviews re rockdoors.

Any thoughts on this price? No room for negotiation either .
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure