Tiling Upstairs - Bad Idea?

Options
2»

Comments

• themull1
    themull1 Posts: 4,299 Forumite
    Options
    If you do get them, get plenty of spares in case you need to get under the floor and replace the tiles afterwards. i didn't even know such a tile existed, if its what you like, go for it!!
  • adandem
    adandem Posts: 3,592 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    We have tiles in our bathroom, laid on a kind of subfloor. You would need one of these I think?
    Tbh, I've really tired of ours and will go for something less permanent next time.
  • rustyboy21
    rustyboy21 Posts: 2,565 Forumite
    Options
    IMO, if it was me and I was thinking of doing what you are, I would be checking that the wiring that goes under the original, was A1 and that any pipework that ran through the area, had no joints in it whatsoever. Once they are down, any issues you may have will be a mare to sort, you may even have to take the ceiling down , downstairs to sort a problem out as it would end up easier than ripping all the tiles up, upstairs.

I wouldn't feel safe TBH with having a slippery surface at the top of the stairs, same goes for laminate upstairs too. If you slip in the bathroom, you may end up with a bruised bum. If you slip at the top of the stairs, you end up down at the bottom with a broken neck !

As others have said, Upstairs floors seem to move a lot more than downstairs floors, Mine creaks and moans with the different types of weather. Laying a tiled floor to this will be a mare, unless properly fitted and a lot of prep done first.

Love that type of tile though, looking at them to replace our bathroom tiles.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure