Recycling Epson Cartridges

Options

Comments

• Charis
    Charis Posts: 1,302 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Epson cartridges can be refilled but you need to buy a gadget to reset the chip which counts the number of times the cartridge has been used, which then declares it 'dead' whether there is still ink in it or not. I had a magenta cartridge which failed to register as full and I had to 'recharge' it many times before the printer acknowledged its existence. The chip had been counting away and the thing was declared empty when it was still half full. My C84 will not function if any of the 4 cartridges is considered dead.:mad:
  • welshrich
    Options
    According to the website cartridges4charity.co.uk, Epson themselves have a facility for recycling as much as possible of their old cartridges - it's just not publicized! All you have to do is send them to the following address (please note that this is not FREEPOST and you will need to pay for postage):
    Service Materials Management (SMM)
    EPSON Telford Ltd.
    Hortonwood 40
    Telford
    Shropshire
    TF1 7YD

So it's not exactly a moneysaver but if it makes you feel happier ethically, you may be in a better frame of mind to save some money elsewhere!
    I say what I like, I like what I say!
  • Jonesya
    Jonesya Posts: 1,823 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    ejones999 wrote: »
    I have sent our old Epson cartridges via the plastic bags you can get in Tesco. To be honest I never checked to see if they accepted Epson ones!

They accept and recycle all ink jet cartridges but you only get clubcard points for the cartridges with the built in print heads - HP, Lexmark, Canon etc.

Plus it's a FREEPOST address!
  • Paolo99
    Options
    please see this link for Epson recycling
    http://content.epson-europe.com/environment/collectandrecycle/en/[EMAIL="pcanapero@hotmail.com"][/EMAIL]
  • Abbafan1972
    Abbafan1972 Posts: 6,895 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Sorry to resurrect this thread, but I have an Epson Stylus SX515W and am looking for some way to recycle the cartridges instead of just throwing them in the bin. :confused:

The link in the last post, just seems to take me round the houses and I get nowhere! I tried to register for the postal system and my printer isn't listed at all.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
    Striving to clear the mortgage before it finishes in Dec 2028 - amount currently owed - £43,915.98
  • Abbafan1972, I believe that's probably just an oversight on Epson's part, and I think you can safely choose a different printer model [probably any one you like], as all they'll do is send you out some pre-paid recycling envelopes, which you can send any Epson inkjets in.

Cartridges4Charity.co.uk/Ink/Alternatives/ lists some other ideas if that doesn't work out for you, or if you end up with other cartridges you can't recycle.
  • top_drawer_2
    top_drawer_2 Posts: 2,469 Forumite
    edited 9 January 2010 at 8:06PM
    Options
    Charis wrote: »
    Epson cartridges can be refilled but you need to buy a gadget to reset the chip which counts the number of times the cartridge has been used, which then declares it 'dead' whether there is still ink in it or not. I had a magenta cartridge which failed to register as full and I had to 'recharge' it many times before the printer acknowledged its existence. The chip had been counting away and the thing was declared empty when it was still half full. My C84 will not function if any of the 4 cartridges is considered dead.:mad:

Hi,

Where would I buy one of these? I have an Epson D120 and it has often decided that it has No Ink when I KNOW that I have only just put the new carteridge in....

Jen
  • negg
    negg Posts: 280 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    My C84 will not function if any of the 4 cartridges is considered dead

Be careful with chip resetters. I would advise if you reset the cartridge, refill it at the same time.

The reason is simple. When the ink gets towards the bottom, it starts to push air through the printhead. When air goes through the printhead, it breaks. When it breaks on an Epson it generally means one thing. Printer in the bin. This is why Epson cartridges don't use up all the ink supplied - to protect the printer from damage.

If you reset and refill at the same time, it should hopefully stop printing when the ink is low (but not empty).
  • Trinny
    Trinny Posts: 625 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Hi All

Not sure if you have solved the Epson problem yet - but there are boxes in WH Smiths where you can post in your used printer cartridges. I think they have to be genuine famous make ones not generic ( eg tesco/wilko compatible ones)

Thought it might help

Trin
    "Not everything that COUNTS can be counted; and not everything that can be counted COUNTS"
    GC - May £39.47/£55. June £47.20/£50. July £38.44/£50
    NSD - May 16/17. June 16/17. July 14/17
    No new toiletries til stash used up challenge - start date 01/2010 - still going!
    £2 Savers Club member No 93 - getting ready for Christmas 2011:)
  • pmorrisjones
    Options
    When I went into my local computer shop (I live in a small town in Cornwall) they said that they refill Epson cartridges and resell them for £4.99. You do have to buy a more expensive printer but as my last 2 cartridges (b and w and colour) cost me over £50 I shall investigate. If this shop does it why not others. For those who need to know it is Martins computer shops. :j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure