Charities board update
Please note, our Forum rules no longer allow the posting of links to personal fundraising or crowdfunding pages, such as JustGiving. You can read the full set of our Forum rules here.

Charity fundraising ideas with a small network

Options
My Dad was diagnosed with a rare neurodegenerative disease a few years ago. My Mum and my brothers all do what we can to support him and also the charity that has helped with providing advice and research into a cure. My eldest brother decided to run the London Marathon for the charity 3 years ago and as he had to raise something like £1,500 to be eligible (to cover the entry fee and donation) we all pulled out the stops to help him raise the donations. My mum did an event at her independent living home where she sold snacks and drinks during a pantomime and I ran a stall, my middle brother sold raffle tickets with some great prizes and we all shared and shared again on Facebook and contacted friends etc. to raise the donation amount. Last year he got through to the Marathon through a charity draw so there was no minimum donation amount, which took the pressure off, but again we did our bit. This year he's running an Ultra Marathon and although my Mum has helped raised 14% of his target through selling drinks and snacks during a pantomime again and I had a stall again, he is still quite a way off his target. The dilemma lies in that I can't go cap in hand begging for donations for a 3rd year in a row, it's just too much to ask of my friends and family. I work from home so I can't do a bake sale at work and as I moved back to Yorkshire to support my Mum and Dad, I don't really have a network to help with ideas etc. I am pretty much a virtual recluse! Can anyone think of any ideas to raise donation funds that don't rely on having a large network? Any advice appreciated :) Thank you
Mortgage: Mar 2018 -£300,000 / Jul 2021 -£255,000
Student Loan: March 2011 -£18,275.04 / Jul 2021 -£10,425.28
Joint Savings: Aim £13.5k. Dec 2016 £1,700 / Jul 2021 £36,600
Loan to In-Laws: Sep 2010 -£48,185.82 / Apr 2019 £0
Car Loan: Sep 2018 -£16,265 / Apr 2019 £0
Credit Card 0%: Nov 2016 -£4,500 / Apr 2019 £0

Comments

• ch4rly2002
    Options
    And if anyone has a spare £1 to throw in the mix, I'll pop a link in here, just in case :D
    https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/alan-wadsworth2

But seriously, ideas would be very helpful
  • kazzah
    kazzah Posts: 460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    do you know any gamers ? ( I admit I have VERY little idea of what they do) but we had a member of our small charity have a sponsored 24 hour gaming marathon and they raised over £800 - I think the people gaming just paid to enter - but if you have a facebook page ( which would be a great way to raise awareness for your brother) you could ask if there are any gamers willing to help. would any men you know be willing to have their back/chest waxed and be sponsored ? again Facebook is great for getting instant offers of sposorship etc. I will have a think and see if I can come up with any other ideas
  • ch4rly2002
    Options
    Thank you very much, that's very kind of you to think about this and offer some ideas. My brother-in-law plays games a lot and he watches people play online. It's something he was thinking about trying himself so it might be a great idea for him to do a practice run and potentially earn some money to go towards the charity. Thank you :)
  • TBagpuss
    TBagpuss Posts: 11,204 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Is your dad local to where you are? If so, you might be able to think about local events - for instance, whether there are any local fetes (schools / churches) which would let you raise money, perhaps by having a stall (you'd probably need to be a little bit creative about what you were selling or offering as they will probably have the most obvious ones like cakes and books for their own funds, but they might let you do a 'guess the weight of the cake / number of buttons in the jar type thing.)

You could ask whether there are any AmDram groups which might allow you to sell drinks or sweets in the interval (but again, that may be a part of their own fundraising strategy)

On a practical level you might want to suggest to your brother that e make it clearer on his gofundme how much of the money donated will actually go to the charity - you mentioned that he needed £1500 to cove the 'entry fee and donation' - a lot of people don't want to contribute to things like enttry fees and want to know that all of the money they donate will go directly to the charity, so it might encourage more people to donate through that method if he makes clear either how much will go on entry fees, or alternately, if it is the case, that he is paying the entry fee from his own pocket and everything donated will go to the charity. This is not a criticism of him - it may be that the money is already all going to charity, but you can't tell that by looking at the funding page.

i think pat of the issue might be that you are looking to raise funds for your brother to do a marathon, rather than for the charity directly - I think this does mean that there are some possible funding routes that you can't access - f you were raising funds directly, you could enquire with local business and groups such as Scouts or Guides whether they would consider adopting the charity as 'charity of the year' , but they are going to want to put their own spin on it, which they can't do in the same way for something like a marathon, where the fundraising goes in his name.
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure