Personal Accident Plan

Hello All

Hope that I'm posting in the right place!

I'm finally in the process of getting my (scary) finances under control. For years now, I've had £9 per month coming out of bank as a card payment. The entry on my bank statement says "Personal Accident Cash Plan" and I have had no idea what this is for. I just never bothered looking into it as I felt like it wasn't a big sum, which I know is stupid.

Deciding to get a grip, I have just clicked the payment in my online banking and it says "Barclays" which is who I bank with. I have looked in my banking and insurance folders and I have no policy documents for this at all.

I'm cross as it seems a bit sneaky to set something like this up as a card payment. Firstly, I know I need to contact the bank and get them to cancel the payments going forward. Secondly, do I have grounds to complain? I cannot remember asking for this, or filling anything in.

Thank you :)

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,252 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I'm cross as it seems a bit sneaky to set something like this up as a card payment.

These things do not get set up by themselves. You have to apply for them. Either being encouraged to via a sales process or requesting it.
    Secondly, do I have grounds to complain? I cannot remember asking for this, or filling anything in.

What are your reasons for complaint?

Whilst you cannot remember applying, that itself is not grounds for complaint. They have no control over your memory. So, unless a staff member fraudulently set it up (possible but unlikely as the audit trail would indicate a fraud and getting sacked by a bank for fraud destroys your job prospects nearly everywhere), they should be able to say exactly how it was sold or bought. That does not mean it was sold within the rules. However, it is not PPI, so you cant use most PPI complaint reasons. These plans are typically naff but people buy naff stuff every day. That is not grounds for complaint.

A complaint has to give reasons why you think they have done wrong.

Maybe in this case you should spend £10 and do a data subject access request to see if that results in a copy of the application. Or maybe just ask Barclays for a copy of the application (that wont cost £10 and they should be able to comply).

Once you have a copy of the application, it may jog your memory. It may help a complaint or it may hinder it. However, it will give you more to go on when making your complaint.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Thank you for your advice, I'll ask for a copy of the application in the first instance.
  • I have just received a letter from Yorkshire Bank telling me my Yorkshire Bank Family Accident Plan as from 1st of November 2017 the bank will no longer be associated with it and it shall be solely with A.I.G.,not having a clue what they are on about i contacted A.I.G and they are going to send me a full itinerary of the policy,it appears i have been paying for this since 1st May 2002 and was supposedly started via a phone call,which i totally refute as at the time i already had a policy running with Swinton so would not have two identical policies running also last year July 2016 my wife fell and broke her hip and had to have an hip replacement so if i had such a policy wouldn't I have made a claim,I pointed this out and the reply was "you can still have a claim form but it doesn't cover broken bones" i refused as this would be acknowledging the fact that i had a policy,i am at the moment awaiting there reply.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    It appears you have a policy, whether you acknowledge it or not.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,252 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Personal Accident Plans tend to be for loss of use of a limb, eye, finger, toe etc. They are not income protection or hospital cash plans.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,465 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Did you not notice you were paying money each month for 15 years?
    What did you think it was for?
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • On direct debit i have and have had during this policy three individual policies for car insurance,home and contents insurance,accident protection plan with as i stated with Swinton,public liability insurance,travel insurance so when you read AIG insurance its only too easy to glibly look at it put it down to being one of those lapse on my part i agree but one puts trust in ones bank ,sadly the trust only goes one way,by the way the car insurances were running at the same time so cant be classed as one transaction.
  • -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,465 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    I'm afraid you're going to have a hard time to explain that one if the fact you had numerous insurances prevented you from realising you were paying one more insurance than necessary. For 15 years.

No one gets charged for insurances they didn't explicitly agree to. They probably offered it to you for free for an amount of time and you forgot to cancel when the free period ran out.
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • I cannot see how anyone can say these type of plans were not miss sold; they seem to have grown for exactly the same reasons that gave rise to Plevin. I have just written to Barclaycard, Hospital Plan Insurance Services and Barclays as my Uncle was "sold" 6 similar policies in 2002/2003. Despite the fact that he was not in the best of financial heath even then, each company sold him an accident plan and a death plan and subsequently he spiraled into financial difficulties. I don't know who originally provided the Barclaycard and Hospital plans, but they are both now administered by AIG Direct and I am half expecting Barclays to tell me theirs is from someone else too (but not AIG). It is the amount of interest that Barclaycard have charged on the premiums over the years that is really eye-watering, not to mention their treatment of my Uncle. Based on the response from Barclaycard, I already know that the next step is to approach the Ombudsman. The more of us that persist the better results we should see. Good luck.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure