Confusing about Barclaycard Platinum for overseas cash withdrawl

Options
snowshine
snowshine Posts: 148 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary
edited 30 June 2017 at 5:17PM in Credit cards
In here on the page on Credit card has the following for Barclay card Platinum:
"The card's fee free overseas until the end of August 2022. Although that puts a time limit on it, it's five years away which makes it better in the long term than the card above, especially if you frequently withdraw cash"
Need-to-knows
There are no fees for spending or withdrawing cash abroad until 31 August 2022.
You don't get charged interest on spending or cash withdrawals abroad, provided you pay them off in full by the date shown on your statement.
Any cash withdrawals in pounds will be charged interest from the day you make them at 27.9% representative APR, so it's best to avoid.
The rate you'll get is set by Visa, which you can check here – it tends to be slightly lower than Mastercard's rate.
Make sure you pay off any purchases IN FULL or you'll be charged 18.9% interest, which'll quickly wipe the gain from this being fee free overseas

The booklet issued with the new Barclaycard Platinum has the following on page about withdraw cash: "You can use your Barclaycard to get cash from most ATMs at home and abroad,upto your daily cash limit and your available credit-(2.99% fee applies, minimum £2.99 fee for UK cash withdrawals).

Does it not contradict in it's statement on cash withdrawl abroad ATMs?

Does anyone know where do one stand if decides to withdraw ATM cash abroad?

Regards

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    As it says - fee free until the end of the promo period.

2.99% fee thereafter.
  • snowshine
    Options
    As it says - fee free until the end of the promo period.

2.99% fee thereafter.
    But this is only mentioned in here on the page about the credit card albeit not by the Barclaycard company but by the MoneysavingExpert ?moderator or creator.
    The official booklet I just received with the newcard today has this not been mentioned. ie: "Until end of August2022" is not mentioned anywhere on the booklet though"
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    That's because the 'official booklet' shows the underlying terms - not any promotional rates.
  • snowshine
    Options
    That's because the 'official booklet' shows the underlying terms - not any promotional rates.
    Ok that is assuring. I will give a try when visiting Europe next week.
    Thanks again
  • A_T
    A_T Posts: 959 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Your statement will have details of your promotional offer - also you can phone to confirm.
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,584 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    snowshine wrote: »
    I will give a try when visiting Europe next week.
    Make sure that any transaction is carried out in the local currency, not pounds.
    Evolution, not revolution
  • Marksfish
    Marksfish Posts: 270 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I have applied for this card and am awaiting their delivery, the information you get is quite contradictory.

I have received an email today with the subject: "Your new foreign spend rate". In this email it states:
    So, when you're planning your trip, don't forget to pack your Barclaycard – it's an easy and secure way to spend wherever you are in the world. And until 31 August 2022 you won't pay a non–sterling transaction fee on your foreign ATM withdrawals or spend. Please see below for some important things you need to know.

But later on it says:
    Although you won't be paying a non–sterling transaction fee, the interest rates for purchases and cash withdrawals will stay the same.

My "Offer" says:
    Up to 56 days interest free on all non sterling cash withdrawals if you pay your main balance in full and on time each month.

The t&c's make no mention of interest free cash withdrawals, only fee free.

All a bit confusing really.

Mark
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    The t&cs mention it in the bit you have quoted - up to 56 days interest free on all non sterling cash withdrawals.
  • Marksfish
    Marksfish Posts: 270 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    That's not in my t&c's, but it is in the screenshot I have of my offer. Will find out next week when the wife goes to Spain, although we do still have the N&P debit card which is the preferred option :)
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    That's because it's a limited time offer - the t&cs are the underlying, permanent terms - the offer is a short lived set of terms that temporarily over rides the full t&cs.

You'll get the offer terms when you spend next week.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure