Stuck with one company?

Options
Hi - is anyone else stuck with a utility company because they have been told that they're the only company who does 'that' tariff? I'm with Scottish Hydro as they do Economy 10 which is apparently the only tariff my heaters can sync with........ This means I'm stuck with Scottish Hydro's prices no matter what. I have the water filled electric heaters and I've been told they will only work on Economy 10. I'd like to change but no idea if I have any other options.

Comments

• footyguy
    footyguy Posts: 4,157 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    lindamj wrote: »
    Hi - is anyone else stuck with a utility company because they have been told that they're the only company who does 'that' tariff? I'm with Scottish Hydro as they do Economy 10 which is apparently the only tariff my heaters can sync with........ This means I'm stuck with Scottish Hydro's prices no matter what. I have the water filled electric heaters and I've been told they will only work on Economy 10. I'd like to change but no idea if I have any other options.

The question is often posted on this forum, and the answer I provide is always the same.

There are no options available for those with a legacy tariff such as yours.

Do not attempt to switch supplier with such legacy metering in place - attempts to do so invariably end in tears.
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,037 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Welcome to the forum.

Any heater will work as long as it is supplied with electricity. The problem is the wiring in your property might control when the heaters get that electricity.

Are you sure you have 'water filled heaters' and not storage heaters? Or are they are water filled radiators running from a 'thermal store' (a big tank)

Many people with E10 get their wiring changed and convert to E7 which gives you greater choice.
  • kjn1000
    kjn1000 Posts: 20 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    So how do those of us who have "legacy metering" change? I am in a similar predicament but eon just keep hiking the charges up and its now costing a fortune but its not our meter as we rent.
  • matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,608 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 7 September 2017 at 4:25PM
    Options
    I'm guessing that water filled heaters is a wet central heating system with a flow boiler and radiators - perhaps a bit more info would help.

If so then they really do need to be used with E10
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,861 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 7 September 2017 at 4:29PM
    Options
    If you have a single MPAN 2 rate E10 tariff you probably will be able to change, google E10 suppliers. With anything more exotic you will need to change meters and possibly wiring at your cost. You need to calculate your total kWh use and cost for the year and work out that same consumption on single rate as you can now change with no change to metering although it is unlikely it will be cheaper.
  • kjn1000
    kjn1000 Posts: 20 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks Molerat, sadly i have now tried to switch to two different suppliers who claim initially to be able to help but then get to the point where my switch has gone through but they cant take over control because of the E10. I am so confused and our electric bill keeps getting higher and higher as the months go by and i need to sort this now before winter comes. Literally don't know where to turn. We have storage heaters but don't use them because they aren't wired in to timers and they cant be fitted retrospectively because the wiring goes into the wall so therefore cost us a fortune to use so instead we have resorted to oil filled rads.
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,861 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Your storage heaters should be controlled by the system, only coming on during E10 hours. Using plug in heaters during peak electric hours is very expensive. Maybe a single rate would be beneficial to you if you want to continue with those.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure