Cheap holiday rentals guide discussion

Options
1235»

Comments

• Vegastare
    Vegastare Posts: 998 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Must admit I was totally put off renting a holiday cottage in Northumberland, Ownersdirect were adding £70 to booking and the price for rental was really high, next time we looked the rental price was up again.

Don't think it does the owner any favours when sites do this.
  • Rasika_Dissanayake
    Rasika_Dissanayake Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 25 October 2017 at 5:04PM
    Options
    I booked 3 rooms of a holiday rental via Trip Advisor (TA). All communication and the payment was through their web site.

Despite fully paid and the booking was agreed only two of us checked in on 14th Saturday. When inquired about other rooms the care taker advised that they are being cleaned and will be available soon. We went out and came late that night and the caretaker was not available when we returned.

On noon next day we tried to open one of the rooms assigned to us and found out that it was occupied. The caretaker admitted the double booking and the room was not available until late evening and we had to arrange alternate accommodation for one of our late arriving members of the group.
    I took this up with TA and they informed me that according to their T&C any dispute with the owner should bought to their attention before staying 1st night. Accordingly they advised the owner of the property to directly communicate with us which never happened.

As such in case of any materiel breach of agreement after the first night is not protected with Trip Advisor, which is well disguised in their web site.

Does anyone else experienced something similar?

Those who recommend holiday rentals would have overlooked the risk associated compared to ATOL protected travel companies
  • Jill_from_Swindon
    Options
    My first post! I'm prompted to write in this thread as we own a holiday home on the Norfolk coast and have been running it as a holiday let for around seven years now. So I'm looking at this topic from the other side.
    Renting a holiday home puts mutual trust and respect at the heart of the transaction: we trust our guests to take care of our property, not annoy the neighbours, arrive and leave at the arranged times etc; they trust us to come up with the promised goods and put everything in place so that they can have an enjoyable holiday. We take a £100 deposit which we almost always return in full after they leave. I think It's this which ensures most people do leave the house clean and tidy!
    Someone commented further up the thread that the big agencies charge high fees to owners, and this is what has led us to steer clear of them. Some of those mentioned actually keep hold of the guests' money from the time they book until after they leave, so that the owners sometimes don't get the cash for several months, which can lead to cash flow problems.
    We advertise through directories rather than agencies, and handle everything ourselves, which means we can keep our prices lower than those who have to factor in agency and cleaning costs. So that's a tip for anyone seeking a value-for-money self catering holiday. We can also build up a personal relationship with our guests through the booking process, which means we can make sure special requests are dealt with, misunderstandings avoided, and quite often happy guests come back another time!
    Just thought putting the owners' perspective would be useful in this thread.
  • Stevev99
    Stevev99 Posts: 170 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi Jill, interesting to read your reply from the 'other side' so to speak!
    Especially interested in that we're looking for a holiday home to rent this Summer in Norfolk and you mention that you advertise in 'directories' instead of agencies. What directories are you speaking of and how do we access them?
    Thanks,
    Steve.
  • stephen160
    stephen160 Posts: 71 Forumite
    Options
    We own a villa in Orlando Florida. We prefer to take payment via direct bank transfer but when the guest is worried about fraud then we will take paypal.
    We also advise guests to check the local council register to see who owns the property and that it registered to be rented out legally
    steve
  • Andy_H_2468
    Options
    I have a great success story.
    We saved nearly £200 on our cottage rental in Highcliffe (Christchurch, Dorset).
    We were searching for a cottage on the Dorset coast and found one we liked in Tripadvisor. We investigated and discovered Tripadvisor were adding a huge booking fee (15% I think = + 3% for a credit card booking). We then spent a little while searching and found a local community website that listed local holiday cottages with direct links to the cottage websites. Being prudent we investigated further found the cottage we liked on Google maps so we were confident that it wasn't fraud. We contacted the owner direct via his website. Booked via bank transfer and had a great 2 weeks on the Dorset coast.
    I'm not overly scared about bank transfers for things like this. The savings are huge going direct and so long as you have an address and phone number, if in the vanishingly rare occasion that there is fraud, report it to the police, they will track down the fraudster, jail him and give you your money back.
    We won't go through the major booking platforms again.
  • Tim_Parkes
    Options
    The advice throughout this page to get cheap holiday rentals, ie, avoid getting a spoof property and ensuring your money doesn't get diverted off to some scammer was sound advice and definitely worked. I have sent in notification to the admin team that this advice has now been outdated so hopefully it will be amended shortly. I paraphrase but the main plank of the advice is that holidaymakers should contact the property owners direct on the owner's trusted phone number provided by the holiday advertising company. Further, by speaking with the owner direct you can be sure that the property meets your needs and using the owners trusted number is the safest way to be sure it is the real owner you are speaking with and paying. All of the 4 companies recommended on this page however have since removed all owners contact numbers. It is no longer possible to speak with the real owners until after an on line booking has been made through one of these companies on-line booking platforms for which booking fees are charged. It is argued by these companies that the removal of the owners contact numbers and the move to on-line booking platforms is to enhance security. Owners and holidaymakers however see the move as simply to make money. HomeAway are quoted on a Nasdaq forum to earn a billion dollars in added booking fees this year alone as a result of this move.
    If you get to read this Martin please do not endorse these American giants, they are abusing their monopoly in this sector and represent everything you fight against. Check out Simply Owners, it is UK a company specifically set up to challenge this monopoly. You can save your viewers 100's of millions in booking fees and help Simply Owners (David) bring these American giants (Goliaths) into line. With Simply Owners holidaymakers still get the owners phone numbers as per your strong advice, get free Payment Protection and don't get charged booking fees.
    Hope this is helpful. Tim
  • Tim_Parkes
    Options
    Visit Simply Owners if you want to have one on one contact with owner/holidaymaker, avoid booking fees and get free payment Protection for holidaymakers. How it should be!
  • Tim_Parkes
    Options
    Visit Simply Owners if you want to have one on one contact with owner/holidaymaker, avoid booking fees and get free payment Protection for holidaymakers. How it should be!
    Quick Reply Thanks 0 Edit Post
  • Tim_Parkes
    Options
    The advice throughout this page to get cheap holiday rentals, ie, avoid getting a spoof property and ensuring your money doesn't get diverted off to some scammer was sound advice and definitely worked. I have sent in notification to the admin team that this advice has now been outdated so hopefully it will be amended shortly. I paraphrase but the main plank of the advice is that holidaymakers should contact the property owners direct on the owner's trusted phone number provided by the holiday advertising company. Further, by speaking with the owner direct you can be sure that the property meets your needs and using the owners trusted number is the safest way to be sure it is the real owner you are speaking with and paying. All of the 4 companies recommended on this page however have since removed all owners contact numbers. It is no longer possible to speak with the real owners until after an on line booking has been made through one of these companies on-line booking platforms for which booking fees are charged. It is argued by these companies that the removal of the owners contact numbers and the move to on-line booking platforms is to enhance security. Owners and holidaymakers however see the move as simply to make money. HomeAway are quoted on a Nasdaq forum to earn a billion dollars in added booking fees this year alone as a result of this move.
    If you get to read this Martin please do not endorse these American giants, they are abusing their monopoly in this sector and represent everything you fight against. Check out Simply Owners, it is UK a company specifically set up to challenge this monopoly. You can save your viewers 100's of millions in booking fees and help Simply Owners (David) bring these American giants (Goliaths) into line. With Simply Owners holidaymakers still get the owners phone numbers as per your strong advice, get free Payment Protection and don't get charged booking fees.
    Hope this is helpful. Tim
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport