One year guarantee on an ex display sofa

Options
I am keen to buy an ex display sofa which has been reduced by 18%. A brand new sofa would have a 10 year structural guarantee but the ex display sofa will only have 1 year. Is this right. They have said that I can purchase a warranty for care and protection but not for additional structural warranty. Would love some advice.

Comments

• LadyDee
    LadyDee Posts: 4,293 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I am keen to buy an ex display sofa which has been reduced by 18%. A brand new sofa would have a 10 year structural guarantee but the ex display sofa will only have 1 year. Is this right. They have said that I can purchase a warranty for care and protection but not for additional structural warranty. Would love some advice.

Perhaps because many people have, or could have, plonked down on it, children might have been jumping on it. I don't think 18% is nearly enough of a discount for an ex-display item whatever it is. I'd want at least 50% if it meant the difference between a 1 year and a 10 year guarantee. It doesn't say much for their confidence in the structural integrity of the sofa, if they don't guarantee it withstanding family use for more than a year - even if you pay for the extra policy.
  • Ridmeofdebt
    Options
    Good advice. I will haggle. Apologies I made an error in my calculation, the discount is 28%. Thanks for making me realise that it is not the bargain that I think it is with regards to the comment on the structural integrity.
  • Ridmeofdebt
    Options
    I have a reply from Harveys. They have offered to give me a 7 year structural guarantee. Is this now a deal to consider?
    If I do want to add care and protection then this would be £60 for three years or £110 for 5 years.
  • LadyDee
    LadyDee Posts: 4,293 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I have a reply from Harveys. They have offered to give me a 7 year structural guarantee. Is this now a deal to consider?
    If I do want to add care and protection then this would be £60 for three years or £110 for 5 years.

Some of the posters here who have far more knowledge than I on consumer protection will doubtless be along to help on the value of the so-called care & protection policy, but exactly what does this provide for? In any event, haggle like mad and get the policy thrown in for free.

You often have far more protection under consumer rights than unnecessary policies, unless of course they guarantee to give you a brand new sofa on the day before the policy expires!

Have you searched this forum for mention of Harveys? Is it really the only sofa in the world that will do? Just type "Harveys" in the search box and only then make up your mind.
  • Ridmeofdebt
    Options
    I will search away.
  • askmeaboutsofas
    Options
    18% discount is pretty terrible for ex-display! As you're buying direct I would expect a minimum of 40-50% off. The seven year warranty sounds good but make sure you get it in writing. Also check the small print for exclusions. As it's ex-display be careful to check the sofa over thoroughly in person to make sure it is in good condition when you buy. They will refuse you a return if you get it home and discover something that was there in the store.
    A thorough inspection would be something like:
    -Walk all around the sofa checking the cover is not damaged or dirty, no marks rips or scuffs etc. Pay close attention to the bottom of the sofa and the back where damage may be hidden.
    -Check inside the seat cushions, look at the back of the seams inside the cushion covers to make sure they are sound and not fraying.
    -Remove the seat cushions, and 'bounce' the springs underneath with your hand. They shouldn't rattle.
    -If you do nothing else, do this: pick up one end of the sofa and try to wiggle it a little bit from side to side. You shouldn't need to be violent with it. A structurally sound sofa will not move much. If it creaks, or if the frame twists out of square, there is a problem.

Also worth noting if you have house insurance, you may be covered against accidental damage already so you may not need the extra warranty. Try talking to your home insurance company before you take out any accidental cover warranties, to check what would be covered.

Finally, the quality. I, personally, do not like Harvey's very much and I think you can get much better brands for the same price. Definitely have a look through the forums for reviews but also useful is looking on eBay for secondhand models from the same store. Especially if you can find one of the same model as you're looking to buy, that way you will see what they look like after a few years. It can be a real eye opener! A really high quality sofa will continue looking good for years and years, cheap rubbish will look secondhand after a few months and there is a lot inbetween.
    Well informed on the subjects of sofas and wood furniture, and well opinionated on everything else :rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure