£10 City Tax on UK hotel booking

Options
martynh99
martynh99 Posts: 134 Forumite
Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
My wife booked a hotel in August for 2 nights in Great Yarmouth and looking at the email thats come through the price was £114 and then there is a £10 city tax added on.
I've seen this in Spain a few times when visiting areas where tourist taxes are the norm and normally no more than €1 per pp/day but this works out at £2.50 pp/day.

Had a google around and not found anything to say that City / Tourist taxes have made it to shores of blighty as yet.

The booking was made via booking.com

Anybody else seen this / has any info ?

Comments

• pogofish
    pogofish Posts: 10,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    IIRC Gt Yarmouth were planning to introduce their own local tourist tax a couple of years back.
  • SnowTiger
    SnowTiger Posts: 4,459 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    The Business Improvement District levy, listed here?

It appears to fund advertising, promotions, events, etc for the Great Yarmouth area.

Presumably, the room is advertised at a specific rate plus taxes.
  • Castle
    Castle Posts: 4,199 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    As Snow Tiger has mentioned, it's The Business Improvement District levy which is paid by businesses based on the rateable value of their properties. So it's actually a business fixed overhead cost, just like business rates or rent.
  • martynh99
    martynh99 Posts: 134 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 3 August 2017 at 3:29PM
    Options
    SnowTiger wrote: »
    The Business Improvement District levy, listed here?

It appears to fund advertising, promotions, events, etc for the Great Yarmouth area.

Presumably, the room is advertised at a specific rate plus taxes.

That does appear to be it, having looked myself now on booking.com it is listed as
    Prices are per room Included: £ 10.00 City tax per stay,

Just seemed excessive at £2.50 pp/pn but now I see it's £10 flat rate per stay whether thats 1 person 1 night or 6 people for a year :rotfl:

Some hotels seem to list it seperately, others must just include it in the price(assuming they're all subject to the BID levy). Thinking about it though, if they are including it then you'd perhaps be paying 20% VAT on it too ?
  • KeithP
    KeithP Posts: 37,650 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    It's just another money-making 'opportunity'.

How many hotels do you find listing a contribution to their business rates separately?

How many hotels do you find listing a contribution to their rubbish collection costs separately?

In which case, why should hotels list this levy separately?

It is just another business overhead and should be included in their tariffs.
  • JP1978
    JP1978 Posts: 527 Forumite
    Options
    Another money making scheme then by the looks of it. Surely the existing business rates and private council tax etc go towards promoting the area - which in turn brings in more tourists, which in turn brings in more money, more business, more hotels, more residents and more business rates and council tax.....

Is it not just a double tax?
  • daveyjp
    daveyjp Posts: 12,525 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Some businesses vote against Business Improvement Districts, if they lose they still have the extra business rate levy to pay.

How business raise the extra to pay for it is down to them, a tourist tax seems a sensible way.
  • alan2_2
    Options
    I saw a "city tax" in a search on booking.com that was £10 on a £20 booking, though I wouldn't know whether it's the same hotel as you saw (I didn't book). To be fair, the total price was made clear, but I suspect it's just a ruse by the hotel to pay less fees to booking.com, as I would guess that the fees are charged as a percentage of the basic price but not including the city tax. It used to be common for ebay sellers to do a similar thing with the P&P until ebay clamped down on it.
  • Castle
    Castle Posts: 4,199 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    alan2 wrote: »
    I saw a "city tax" in a search on booking.com that was £10 on a £20 booking, though I wouldn't know whether it's the same hotel as you saw (I didn't book). To be fair, the total price was made clear, but I suspect it's just a ruse by the hotel to pay less fees to booking.com, as I would guess that the fees are charged as a percentage of the basic price but not including the city tax. It used to be common for ebay sellers to do a similar thing with the P&P until ebay clamped down on it.
    It would be interesting to see the VAT invoice because there's no VAT on tax.
  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,323 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Options
    Castle wrote: »
    It would be interesting to see the VAT invoice because there's no VAT on tax.
    Yes there is. You pay VAT on petrol tax, you pay VAT on other excise duties for alcohol etc.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure