What's this thingamajig called?

Options
I've got this handle kind of thing on my wall next to my fireplace. The cover is missing and I would like to look for a replacement but I have no idea what the thing is called. Any help?

http://i67.tinypic.com/2nroqic.jpg2nroqic.jpg

Comments

• TheCyclingProgrammer
    Options
    What does it do?
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    It looks like the sort of thing that you use to summon servants from below stairs.

A bell pull.
  • Biggles
    Biggles Posts: 8,209 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 18 October 2016 at 4:23PM
    Options
    You must be in an old Victorian house; we had a four-story one some years ago.

You turn the handle, which pulls on a wire within the walls, which runs down to the basement - at one time the servants' quarters - and pulls on a bell on a spring.

When we lived there, there was still a board in the basement with a row of bells on it. When one of the bells rang, they were supposed to see which one it was and scamper up to that room to see what they wanted.

Happy days!
  • jpsartre
    jpsartre Posts: 4,085 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    What does it do?

Nothing as far as I can tell.
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    There's a photo of a complete one lower down the page in this article.

OP, you don't live a house like that, do you ?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3330604/Servants-bells-hidden-former-home-Westonbirt-Arboretum-designer.html
  • jpsartre
    jpsartre Posts: 4,085 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Biggles wrote: »
    You must be in an old Victorian house; we had a four-story one some years ago.

You turn the handle, which pulls on a wire within the walls, which runs down to the basement - at one time the servants' quarters - and pulls on a bell on a spring.

When we lived there, there was still a board in the basement with a row of bells on it. When one of the bells rang, they were supposed to see which one it was and scamper up to that room to see what they wanted.

Happy days!

Indeed, it looks like it's a servants bell. "Rotary servants bell" pulls up some similar images on Google although they seem to be rarer than I had hoped for. If anyone knows of a more common name do let me know.
  • Ganga
    Ganga Posts: 4,157 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    As it is next to the fireplace is it not some sort of control for the flue?
    does the handle turn round and round or only move so far in both directions.
    ITS NOT EASY TO GET EVERYTHING WRONG ,I HAVE TO WORK HARD TO DO IT!
  • Le_Kirk
    Le_Kirk Posts: 22,312 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    I have a little bell that I ring ............. and then one of the servants comes and turns the handle for me!
  • Ant555
    Ant555 Posts: 1,569 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    edited 18 October 2016 at 4:54PM
    Options
    Ganga wrote: »
    As it is next to the fireplace is it not some sort of control for the flue?
    does the handle turn round and round or only move so far in both directions.

Thats what I was thinking, something to control the air flow to an open fire

Look at the third or fourth picture down this page - more modern but very similar
    http://inspectapedia.com/heat/Ductwork_Zone_Dampers.php

It probably does nothing practical now but this might help you locate something as a replacement item

Hope this helps
  • Jackieboy
    Jackieboy Posts: 1,010 Forumite
    Options
    Ant555 wrote: »
    Thats what I was thinking, something to control the air flow to an open fire

Look at the third or fourth picture down this page - more modern but very similar
    http://inspectapedia.com/heat/Ductwork_Zone_Dampers.php

It probably does nothing practical now but this might help you locate something as a replacement item

Hope this helps

But that's an American site talking about furnaces, not a simple UK fireplace. I've had several homes with working firplaces and seen nothing like that.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure