RE: Hired Car - Speeding Prosecution

Options
2»

Comments

• AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You cannot sue the hire company. Apart from the fact that you have nothing to sue them for, they may very well have acted 100% correctly.

The fact YOU haven't hired a car doesn't mean you can't possibly have been driving it. You may have been driving a car that somebody else hired. The hire car company nominates their customer, their customer nominates you as the driver. You receive the s172 request. You do not need to know who the hire company were, and they may very well not know who you are.

Have you lost your driving licence? It may be that somebody has produced your licence as proof of their identity when hiring the car.

"Pinging your phone" does not prove you weren't there. It simply shows your phone wasn't.

All you can do is reply that you were not driving that car in that place at that time, and you do not know who was.
  • PierremontQuaker03
    Options
    Thanks everyone - I am trying to register with pepipoo at the moment, but I have not received my verification email so I cant post anything - having one of those days where nothing is going for me!
    Can I just confirm I DEFINATELY was not driving the car, I was with my wife, child and mother in law about 60 miles away on that day, I have looked at the road where the offence was on, I don't think I have ever driven down that road before!
  • Crabman
    Crabman Posts: 9,943 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Options
    Exactly I am annoyed it is wasting my time - if it goes any further I will sue the car hire company

Complete the NIP Wizard and it will post the necessary details to the forum :)
  • waamo
    waamo Posts: 10,298 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Thanks everyone - I am trying to register with pepipoo at the moment, but I have not received my verification email so I cant post anything - having one of those days where nothing is going for me!
    Can I just confirm I DEFINATELY was not driving the car, I was with my wife, child and mother in law about 60 miles away on that day, I have looked at the road where the offence was on, I don't think I have ever driven down that road before!

Check your junk mail folder. For some reason their system doesn't like Hotmail/Outlook.com either so if you use Hotmail try a different email address.
  • PierremontQuaker03
    Options
    Thanks, used my Yahoo email address in the end and worked fine - thanks everyone
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    Crabman wrote: »
    Complete the NIP Wizard and it will post the necessary details to the forum :)
    You cannot post anything there including the NIP wizard until you are a registered member and logged in.
  • arcon5
    arcon5 Posts: 14,099 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Contact the hire company and discuss it as they may have been given false info
  • d123
    d123 Posts: 8,628 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    arcon5 wrote: »
    Contact the hire company and discuss it as they may have been given false info

If you read the OP you might see a small problem with your plan.
    When I last spoke to the Police in March they said that they were not allowed to give me the name of the hire car company
    ====
  • Crabman
    Crabman Posts: 9,943 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Options
    Quentin wrote: »
    You cannot post anything there including the NIP wizard until you are a registered member and logged in.

Thanks Quentin. I wasn't aware of how internet forums work.

(notice my post crossed with the one directly above it) ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure