Travel Insurance

Options
Hi,
we went on hols in May and made sure we took out insurance. My son got ill on the second day - he has allergies and had a severe reaction to the sun!!! He also has asthma and a heart murmur. These were declared before I took the insurance so we were covered fully.
I called the helpline number when this happened and we were told to go to the nearest public hospital, which we did. I mentioned to them that the hotel had its own on call, visiting dr.
The public hospital treated him under EHIC - I don't understand why the insurance people didn't allow the private dr at the hotel to see him. He was still ill when we left but was definitely on the mend.
I got the 'premium' policy.

Comments

• Archergirl
    Archergirl Posts: 1,767 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Might have been best to go to the hospital rather than see a doctor, what is your query? Surely he got the right treatment. Why give the doctor an exorbitant fee when he could be seen with an EHIC card, that is what they are for after all.........
  • EssexExile
    EssexExile Posts: 6,139 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Insurers expect you to mitigate the losses as much as possible, they won't pay for something that can be got for free. A bit like us moneysavers really.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
  • PeacefulWaters
    PeacefulWaters Posts: 8,495 Forumite
    Options
    Jenga12 wrote: »
    Hi,
    we went on hols in May and made sure we took out insurance. My son got ill on the second day - he has allergies and had a severe reaction to the sun!!! He also has asthma and a heart murmur. These were declared before I took the insurance so we were covered fully.
    I called the helpline number when this happened and we were told to go to the nearest public hospital, which we did. I mentioned to them that the hotel had its own on call, visiting dr.
    The public hospital treated him under EHIC - I don't understand why the insurance people didn't allow the private dr at the hotel to see him. He was still ill when we left but was definitely on the mend.
    I got the 'premium' policy.
    What's your question?
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,131 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    It would cost the insurance more if he was seen by a private doctor.

They are not in the business of spending more than is necessary on treatment.
  • Jenga12
    Jenga12 Posts: 55 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Yes I see what you all mean. I'd never had reason to claim in the past and naively thought the cover was for private care.
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,589 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Jenga12 wrote: »
    Yes I see what you all mean. I'd never had reason to claim in the past and naively thought the cover was for private care.

EHIC on its own isn't enough for all eventualities such as you staying on if he didn't recover quickly.

Being a little less cynical: it was safer to send your boy straight to hospital and if everyone had private treatment the premiums would be even higher.

Well done on taking out adequate insurance. When I saw the title of the thread I suspected the worst.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure