Ebay seller market research

Options
Good morning

I've had an email from a firm called Bright Research Limited, inviting me to a focus group on ebay selling in London later this week.

I queried their authenticity with eBay, and didn't get anything very useful from the livechat.

Has anyone else participated, and what were their experiences?

Thanks
So many glitches, so little time...

Comments

• hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Are they paying you?
  • Colin2511
    Options
    have you tried asking on Tamebay.com ? they are good at knowing ebay things, and one of the mods used to work at ebay, (dan), so they might know who is doing what at present
  • philatio
    philatio Posts: 676 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I could be wrong but I imagine you'd get a nice talk for an hour, really obvious tips about selling on eBay and then a hard sell into buying their product.
  • RFW
    RFW Posts: 10,026 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I don't know that company but Ebay do use external companies for that type of thing.
    Live Help would probably not be party to who they were.
    No idea if this is genuine but doubt anyone would want to fake it. There should be some incentive for you to attend, either payment or some other reward.
    They're usually pointless for the attendee, if not the company paying for them.

I recently did a survey for a supermarket chain, which involved a visit to my house, a few dumb questions, a visit to the supermarket, at their expense, some more dumb questions, then a ride home. I was quite well rewarded for wasting 90 minutes.
  • rferdi
    Options
    Hi Dave the Ginger Cat,
    I was invited to attend the same market research meeting as you I believe. It was wiyh Bright Research tomorrow Thursday Sept. 2nd at 12.30, for 1.30 hiurs and £50 cash compensation. Yesterday I was asked to provide my ebay seller name by email, and today just while ago I received this text message telling me it has been cancelled but they are going to pay me anyway by cheque and to please provide them with my address so they can post the cheque to me.

So Dave the Ginger Cat, did you get told about the research having been cancelled as well?

I haven't replied to them yet as I feel a bit wary of giving them my home address, after all I don't know this company at all. So far I have given them my name and surname, email address and ebay user name, and I think that is enough, I haven't even had the chance to go to their offices and see them and meet them.

What would you do?
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 3 September 2014 at 8:03PM
    Options
    On companies house-bright research limited are shown as a Northern Ireland dissolved company.is that the exact name?
  • RFW
    RFW Posts: 10,026 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    rferdi wrote: »
    What would you do?
    Wait for the cheque!
    £50 for an hour and a half market research isn't a great deal, obviously not bad for not doing it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure