PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Making window quilts

Options

Comments

• dogstarheaven
    Options
    potbelly wrote: »
    How about using self adhesive velcro. Stick one side to the PVC and sew the other to the 'quilt'. That would allow you to remove the quilts easily and if you want to permanently remove them, the adhesive velcro will peel off and any remaining adhesive cleaned up with meths or white spirit.
    Hope that helps.

so self-adhesive velcro would work on fabrics then? The curtains that I'm lining with fleece are cheapo landlord variety type that are thin and prob. a polyester/cotton mix.

I suppose I could save money and just use safety pins..:cool: which is more MSE..:p
  • Seakay
    Seakay Posts: 4,265 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    domari wrote: »
    Me again! sorry this is my first attempt at using the boards. Could someone please tell me what is mylar?

It's that very thin foil like stuff that's used to make space blankets, also called emergency blankets. I've seen them in Poundland in the camping/outdoors section.
    It's supposed to reflect the heat back into the room I think.

Hoping that someone else will reply and explain the order that we have to put things in the quilt. I'm assuming that the mylar goes on the inside somewhere but I'm not sure if the condensation barrier/shower curtain goes next to the window or inside the lining!
  • Seakay
    Seakay Posts: 4,265 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    so self-adhesive velcro would work on fabrics then? The curtains that I'm lining with fleece are cheapo landlord variety type that are thin and prob. a polyester/cotton mix.

I suppose I could save money and just use safety pins..:cool: which is more MSE..:p

No, you sew to fabric and stick to hard surfaces
  • Waywardbird
    Options
    Some great ideas. I've recently moved and its so cold in my new flat. Definetly going to give one of these ago. Thank :)
    February - TLW #16 2/16
    Save 12k 2014 #134 - £614.81/£3000
  • jamesmcuk
    Options
    Fruball wrote: »
    I don't know how flexible it is but if you were going to leave the blinds down all day, or if you made solid panels then I think it would be great insulation for windows.

Very flexible and less than an inch thick. Under the lightest press between fingers it compresses to a few millimeters. Its suppose to be the equivalent of 210mm of insulation.
  • Howmuch_2
    Options
    dlni wrote: »
    Downside is.. as the windows are now freezing the any warm air that sneeks onto the windows are immediately turned into condensation, so during the very cold nights lots of water to wipe off. Will have to purchase a dehumidifier to counteract that .. after Christmas as I'm now broke (Christmas presents)

Hi, just wanted to say that we used to use a dehumidifier but I don't remember it stopping the condensation on the windows, it didn't half collect a lot of water though.
  • Supersteph
    Options
    The order to put the materials together is as follows:

Window
    1. Lining fabric
    2. Wadding or batting or similar
    3. Vapour barrier (Mylar, shower curtain, bin bag etc)
    4. Nice fabric ( for aesthetics)
    Indoors

I hope that helps. I've been researching it, and I'm definitely going for the self adhesive Velcro version. Easy to put up and take down, and I think they'll be fairly cheap to make (using old sheets as lining etc.) Maybe it's a good business idea?

:-)
  • Supersteph
    Options
    Also, the vapour barrier, provided its airtight should in theory stop the condensation as it prevents the warm air indoors getting to the cold window
  • lemontart
    lemontart Posts: 6,037 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    gonna be trying some these as have large windows and curtain poles so want to reduce any heat loss as much as possible
    I am responsible me, myself and I alone I am not the keeper others thoughts and words.
  • lostinrates
    lostinrates Posts: 55,283 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Supersteph wrote: »
    Also, the vapour barrier, provided its airtight should in theory stop the condensation as it prevents the warm air indoors getting to the cold window

Please, please can any one confirm this? We are about start curtain making and I will definitely have this stuff in them if it works, our condensation is least bad on the windows with shutters, but the rest are appaling.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure