Incorrect Talkmobile information on Experian

Options
My wife just tried to get credit and was told there was an issue. We signed up to Experian to find out what the issue was as found an incorrect TalkMobile delinquent account for £5 that had been there for about 14 months. This has caused her credit score to go to very poor. When we contacted TalkMobile they saw that the account was incorrect and waived the £5 immediately but said that it could take up to 8 weeks for the credit reference agencies to be updated. My wife needs to get her finance sorted for her new car by this Wednesday !!!

What gives Experian and other agencies the right to give people such a low credit rating for such a paltry amount that has been submitted to them in error by TalkMobile? Doesn't anyone sense check these systems?

She is very embarrassed and fuming!!!!

Comments

• ashp_2
    ashp_2 Posts: 416 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    It is possible to get it updated quicker than the 8 weeks and talkmobile do have the ability to do this. Providing it was a mistake on their part and not yours. You will probably have to kick up quite a fuss to get them to do so. You can also contact experian directly and dispute the information but it will probably take experian some time to get a reply from talk mobile.
  • hilray
    Options
    Talk Mobile have admitted that it was their fault but it is impossible to get past the Cairo call centre ...
  • National_Debtline
    National_Debtline Posts: 7,998 Organisation Representative
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi Hilray,

This is a very difficult situation when you are against the clock like this. I would suggest asking TalkMobile to email you their decision and then call Experian and ask them to update the file and forward the email to them as proof. Whether Experian will accept the email as confirmation is difficult to say, but if you have a letter from TalkMobile confirming the debt is wrong and they intend to remove it that may be enough to satisfy the finance company. Good luck,

Laura
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
  • Biffclarke
    Options
    Having the same problem. Contract expired Nov 16, Cancelled contract and direct debit. No bill received from talkmobile.
    Applied for loan Apr 2017, refused despite no debts.
    Turns out I owe Talkmobile £10.18 and it's on my Experian record. Talkmobil have never contacted me over this.
    Impossible to speak to anyone at talkmobile,just get out through to Cairo call centre. Even when you skillfully navigate their system and get through to the UK office..guess what..they transfer you to Cairo promising that will help you by putting you through to customer relations. This never happens and it's excuse after excuse after excuse. Just dreadful. Don't know how a company can legally operate like this.
  • KoshB5
    KoshB5 Posts: 82 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    As ashp has stated CRA's do provide organisations that submit data to them the ability to correct data outside of their normal monthly cycle. Raising a dispute with Experian is advisable as they will have to contact TalkMobile, there is a statuary time period that a dispute has to be resolved once raised i.e. 28 days.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure