PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Does anyone else make their own clothes

Options

Comments

• littleowl
    Options
    The problem is that most clothes in the shops nowadays are made of cheap fabric - and are even more cheaply made up. I have given up trying to find anything I like. Even expensive names such as Jaeger seem to me to be of inferior quality.

This article in The Telegraph is quite eye opening.

http://lifeandhealth.guardian.co.uk:80/fashion/story/0,,2248591,00.html

I used to make clothes and have recently bought a new machine. I intend now making everything I need. I resent being ripped off with clothes made of inferior fabrics which are poorly made.

OK, I am not a teenager and do not require disposable fashion. What I want is classic, timeless, designs in good fabrics which I feel both comfortable and fashionable wearing.

BUT - as many have said, fabric shops have almost disappeared and I find it difficult buying on the net. I really do need to 'feel the quality' and assess the drape of the fabric by handling it myself.

I don't know what the answer is. The problem is finding the fabric - I KNOW I can produce a better quality garment given a good quality fabric.

Perhaps it might be a useful idea to contribute to a list of good fabric suppliers?
  • Mrs_Flittersnoop
    Options
    littleowl wrote: »

I don't know what the answer is. The problem is finding the fabric - I KNOW I can produce a better quality garment given a good quality fabric.

Perhaps it might be a useful idea to contribute to a list of good fabric suppliers?

Littleowl, I agree. I don't buy cheap fabrics because they don't last and I don't have the time to make up stuff that just falls apart or is hideously difficult to sew. I'm 50 so don't want very trendy stuff, I leave that to my DD and her friends. I like classic stuff with a twist, hopefully not 'boring'.

I do buy online, all the US suppliers I use will send samples (some really big pieces so you can test for drape, washability, sewability etc). For those who don't mind buying on the Net, I like www.michaelsfabrics.com , www.emmaonesock.com www.gorgeousfabrics.com (very high shipping costs there though) www.wazoodle.com www.timmelfabrics.com The last two are Canadian and very good value for money.

In the UK I'm reduced to buying from John Lewis although their fabrics have all but disappeared in many stores. The Oxford Street store makes me weep now when I go there and see what a parlous state the fabric department has been reduced to. Even the shops in Berwick Street where you could always buy nice silks and wools have all but gone. You can still go to Textile King for wools and suitings and The Silk Shop at the moment and of course Borovicks is still there with a good range of all sorts of fabrics.

Good luck in your search, please let me know if you find anywhere else good!
    Mrs F x
  • Old_Meanie
    Options
    littleowl wrote: »
    The problem is that most clothes in the shops nowadays are made of cheap fabric - and are even more cheaply made up. I have given up trying to find anything I like. Even expensive names such as Jaeger seem to me to be of inferior quality.

This article in The Telegraph is quite eye opening.

http://lifeandhealth.guardian.co.uk:80/fashion/story/0,,2248591,00.html

I used to make clothes and have recently bought a new machine. I intend now making everything I need. I resent being ripped off with clothes made of inferior fabrics which are poorly made.

OK, I am not a teenager and do not require disposable fashion. What I want is classic, timeless, designs in good fabrics which I feel both comfortable and fashionable wearing.

BUT - as many have said, fabric shops have almost disappeared and I find it difficult buying on the net. I really do need to 'feel the quality' and assess the drape of the fabric by handling it myself.

I have just read this article and it is certainly an eye-opener. I think one way of forcing companies to respect human rights is to do something like make your own. I know its a small gesture and I am only one person but hopefully this site and especially this thread can help to encourage a few more people to revive this ancient craft. Surprising isnt it how many wonderful skills women had that were just totally disregarded and undervalued so they went to work instead. There must be a way in the modern world for old skills to be kept alive and as important passed on so that the self esteem and satisfaction of making something for yourself is not forgotten.
  • C1aire
    C1aire Posts: 273 Forumite
    Options
    Old Meanie, I live near Crouch End, so probably equal distances to either Walthamstow or Edgware. What day is Walthamstow market, and do you have a street name for the fabric shop in Edgware? I don't know either of these places very well. I usually wait to go home to buy fabric, as my Mum is still in Yorkshire and there are some brilliant fabric shops/stalls in places like Leeds and Keighley. Much cheaper too! I know there is a place called 'Rolls and Rems' just off Holloway road, so I might investigate there.

Just read the article posted above and it makes for some depressing reading. It has also gotten me thinking - how long could I go before I buy a garment on the high street? I'm a fairly confident seamstress, I wonder if I could feasibly make the majority of my wardrobe this year? I will be needing summer clothes - I had to chuck most of mine in September as they had fallen apart or had reappeared from the washing machine in a selection of bizarre shapes and sizes (thanks Primark!).

I feel an OS challenge coming on....
    Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realise that we cannot eat money.
  • Old_Meanie
    Options
    C1aire wrote: »
    Old Meanie, I live near Crouch End, so probably equal distances to either Walthamstow or Edgware. What day is Walthamstow market, and do you have a street name for the fabric shop in Edgware? I don't know either of these places very well. I usually wait to go home to buy fabric, as my Mum is still in Yorkshire and there are some brilliant fabric shops/stalls in places like Leeds and Keighley. Much cheaper too! I know there is a place called 'Rolls and Rems' just off Holloway road, so I might investigate there.

Just read the article posted above and it makes for some depressing reading. It has also gotten me thinking - how long could I go before I buy a garment on the high street? I'm a fairly confident seamstress, I wonder if I could feasibly make the majority of my wardrobe this year? I will be needing summer clothes - I had to chuck most of mine in September as they had fallen apart or had reappeared from the washing machine in a selection of bizarre shapes and sizes (thanks Primark!).

I feel an OS challenge coming on....

Rolls and Rems are quite good Claire they have a branch in Lewisham and I have bought fabric from there when visiting my friends in the East End let me know what you think. Will look up Edgeware on map and in phonebook and let you know. Walthamstow Market is on everyday I think but the best days when there are most stalls is Friday and Saturday.
  • littleowl
    littleowl Posts: 594 Forumite
    Options
    Mrs Flittersnoop

Thanks for the links to fabric supplies in the US - I'll investigate those.

I live in South Yorkshire and visited John Lewis in Sheffield recently. It was the only place I could find patterns (apart from the Net). I was horrified at the small array of fabrics - and not one of them did I feel the urge to buy, they were mostly synthetic and awful.

I am on a mission now and will be searching this area. I'll post any suppliers I find.

Oddly though I do know one or two places selling good furnishing fabric but little or nothing for dressmaking.

Fortunately I have a few lengths of material (including some Varruna wool) saved for years so will be starting with those.

I believe Liberty still sell dress fabric but that means a trip to London now that their other stores have closed.
  • littleowl
    Options
    Claire

Do you have any further information on the fabric shops in Leeds and Keighley please?
  • littleowl
    Options
    Old Meanie

Perhaps there could be a resurgence in home dressmaking. Surely we on this forum can't be the only ones who want the satisfaction of producing good garments. I suppose the real problem is the decline of the textile industry in the UK. Perhaps when/if people in general refuse to buy shoddy goods things might change but I doubt that would bring textile manufacture back unfortunately.
  • C1aire
    Options
    Littleowl, it's been ages since I went to a proper fabric shop as the market stalls are always the best spots! I was in Leeds market around xmas and it seemed to have more furnishing fabrics than dressmaking, though I'm sure there's still some there. Keighley and Bradford can be fabric gold mines - I suppose because they grew up around fabric mills. The best thing to do is ask the stall holders if you can't find what you're after. They can normally point you in the right direction or get what you're after in a week or so. Saturday is usually the time to go. There's a big indoor market in the centre of Bradford (ditto Keighley - sort of behind the Morrisons carpark) that used to have a lot of stuff, including the most amazing saree stall that had all sorts of wonderful decorative tapes, frills and wotnot. I used to flare my jeans as a teenager and then edge them with something spangly from there!

This isn't definitive I know, but its been a while since I was there (sadly). Has anyone else been there recently...? Its unlikely to be a wasted trip though, the markets were also very cheap for food - and still are according to my mum!
    Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realise that we cannot eat money.
  • C1aire
    Options
    http://www.bradfordmarkets.com/

Try this Littleowl, it lists all the stalls in the Bradford and Keighley markets.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback