PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

How to pick recommended RICS surveyor, for shared ownership staircasing?

Options
We're in a shared ownership flat, and after a wage increase and coming into a bit of money, would like to staircase to increase our share. From speaking to the housing group (in London), they've sent through a list of 4 recommended independant RICS surveyors that we have to pick from. Once we pick one and tell the housing group, the housing group will instruct them to come up with a valuation. A report is then sent to us.

Does anybody have any advice on how we pick one? We have nothing really to go on, other than price. All the surveyors are based fairly close to each other in East London (our flat is in South East London).

Is there anything stopping me from going directly to all 4, paying them to produce valuation reports, and then telling the housing association to instruct the cheapest one to come up with our valuation? The cost of paying for 4 valuations (around £800) would be covered by any savings if there are differences between the valuations.

Any advice from somebody who has been through the process would be very much appreciated.

Comments

• LJS2014
    LJS2014 Posts: 85 Forumite
    Options
    Not sure if it's the same company but as I have sold my flat which was purchased using the Help To Buy scheme I had to get an independent RICS valuation and was provided with 4 that were on their panel. (This is Housing Options Plus I'm talking about - not sure if you're dealing with the same people.) I opted for E-surv and was impressed with them, agreed to the t's & c's and paid the survey fee Monday lunchtime - the valuer came round Tuesday morning. I've just had the valuation approved by HOP which is good so now the sale can go ahead - just need to complete before the valuation expires as they put a 3 month time limit on it.

:beer:
  • rabh
    rabh Posts: 31 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    LJS2014 wrote: »
    Not sure if it's the same company but as I have sold my flat which was purchased using the Help To Buy scheme I had to get an independent RICS valuation and was provided with 4 that were on their panel. (This is Housing Options Plus I'm talking about - not sure if you're dealing with the same people.) I opted for E-surv and was impressed with them, agreed to the t's & c's and paid the survey fee Monday lunchtime - the valuer came round Tuesday morning. I've just had the valuation approved by HOP which is good so now the sale can go ahead - just need to complete before the valuation expires as they put a 3 month time limit on it.

:beer:

Thanks, that's interesting to know. Ours is One Housing Group.

What did you think of the valuation? Was it in line with what estate agents in your area list properties at, or below/above?

That's a pretty quick turnaround, I'm hoping ours can get sorted as quickly.
  • libf
    libf Posts: 1,008 Forumite
    Options
    I picked the cheapest on the list. :)
  • LJS2014
    LJS2014 Posts: 85 Forumite
    Options
    The RICS part of things was so quick - once I submitted the valuation I had to chase HOP to get a response from them but finally got there in the end. Per the info pack they gave me, they were supposed to approve the valuation within 10 working days but it took double that and now they need another 10 working days to contact my solicitor with their bank details for redemption.

With regards to the valuation itself I found it a little on the low side. I actually had 4 different estate agents come round and give me valuations too so that I had a decent basis for comparison. The estate agent's valuations were pretty much in line with what I sold for whereas the RICS valuer came in at a lower value. Luckily my sale price is higher than the valuation so it doesn't matter to HOP because they will take back 20% of the higher value so in this case the sale price.

Depending on if you have a newbuild house/flat, the advice I was given by the valuer is that many are sold at such a premium they can take years to get back to the value you paid for them so if it has only been a couple of years since you bought, you might find the valuation is lower and therefore you'd stair-case at a cheaper price.

All depends on area too of course.
  • libf
    libf Posts: 1,008 Forumite
    Options
    LJS2014 wrote: »
    Depending on if you have a newbuild house/flat, the advice I was given by the valuer is that many are sold at such a premium they can take years to get back to the value you paid for them so if it has only been a couple of years since you bought, you might find the valuation is lower and therefore you'd stair-case at a cheaper price.

All depends on area too of course.

When I bought the full market value on my new build flat in Oxford was £138,000. The valuation for my sale after 4 years was £185,000. :beer:
  • ££sc££
    ££sc££ Posts: 247 Forumite
    Options
    "Is there anything stopping me from going directly to all 4, paying them to produce valuation reports, and then telling the housing association to instruct the cheapest one to come up with our valuation?"

sounds like a good idea. I'd just send the cheapest one to the H.A. you can usually use your own surveyor to as long as RICS but double check first. also you may get a cheaper rate going through H.A (as they send so much work the surveyors way)
  • AMG1362
    Options
    Hi there...I am facing a similar dilemma and was wondering how did you approach this and what was the outcome… your help is greatly appreciated...
  • Grant_Urismo
    Options
    RICS valuers are totally honest and independent, will all give exactly the same value and to suggest otherwise would be unthinkable. None of them would ever dream of cozying up to a housing group that gives them a really large portion of their work by offering low rates in return for valuation that favoured the housing group.

You would certainly never, ever be able to double cross a housing group by telling them you wanted to sell, receiving a very low valuation and then 'changing your mind' and deciding to buy at that same RICS agreed value.

This never happens, because that would imply something corrupt and illegal was going on, which can;t possibly be the case!

On a totally unrelated matter, I just staircased to 100% for about 40k less than I expected. It turns out my 4 bed semi has an independent RICS value 15k less than a terraced 3 bed over the road that was built at the same time.

I wonder how that could have happened?
  • Neiltmorris
    Options
    We're going through the repayment of this now and our RICS surveyor has compared our mid terraced to 3 semi detached houses meaning our valuation is sky high. Lovely for the people getting 20% of the 'value'.

Anyone know if you can argue a valuation? Am going to give it a good go tomorrow.
  • YvetteIghorue
    Options
    Hi there

I am going through the same process right now. I wanted to staircase to 100% but the valuation is way too high, (28% increase from 2 years ago, RIC valuation was £500k, foxton was £475k). The value's reasoning didn't make sense so we are commissioning another valuation. Can anyone recommend a good one and also let me know the steps you've taken when the valuation has been to high.
    On another note, how can foxton's valuation be less that the RIC surveyor's?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure