PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

On brink of exchange - Solicitor goes on holiday without telling me?!

Options
So we were due to exchange 2 weeks ago last Friday, for long and boring reasons that didn't happen.

So after a stressful 2 week wait with the odd update from my solicitor (she's been great up to now!) I gathered that we would be exchanging on Friday last, so Friday morning I email her for an update just to see if she's thinking along the lines that I am...AND I GET AN OUT OF OFFICE REPLY BACK?!

Fuming doesn't come close. She's away until the 17th October, and our timescale all along was to complete on the 14th. But worst of all - she didn't tell me! I had literally no clue! So I called the office and was passed from pillar to post to try and find some one who knew anything, and got a man who confirms that he would be able to exvchange contracts in my Sols absence, but he's not up to speed with my case so will need to get looking into it and this and that, so he's made it nice and clear that no handover of my case was done either.....

Does my solicitor just expect me to hang around till 17th? I have to be out of my flat by 3rd November and work needs doing on the new house AND I have 2 kids that are likely to be homeless come the 3rd if it's not all sorted - and she just !!!!!! vanishes!

What can I do? I'm not obviously going to do anything until I have got what I need (exchange/completed) but I think her behaviour has been totally unprofessional and I am SO angry! Shall I make a complaint against her to her Director? What would you do in my situation?

Thanks!
'How long is a piece of string' has never been more applicable.

Comments

• hazyjo
    hazyjo Posts: 15,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    First of all I'd make very sure that it was planned holiday and that someone hasn't died or she's not had to rush off somewhere.

Secondly, I work for solicitors who often do handover notes but do still 'work' on a daily basis from their sun lounger lol. My boss has just got back after 2 weeks and he was replying to emails regularly.

Thirdly, given all the hassle regarding moving, no I'd not be putting in a formal complaint, but that's up to you.

Are you sure you're ready to exchange? Could she still be waiting on something? Would it really matter if you exchanged on or after 17th? It's not that near to the 3rd!

Have you given notice at your flat, or were you served notice?

Jx
    2023 wins: *must start comping again!*
  • lee111s
    lee111s Posts: 2,988 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Wait to hear back from "the man".

Did he indicate how long it would take for him to get up to speed?
  • cloo
    cloo Posts: 1,291 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    My solicitor was away when I exchanged on my first sale, but she arranged for someone to cover; it can be got through by a colleague if planned. Hope he is able to sort out.
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Kaius2009 wrote: »
    What can I do?

Calming down would seem a good first step...

You've identified who is looking after your file in her absence, they're checking whether or not you're ready to exchange (presumably you weren't last Friday or it would have happened), they'll get back to you to confirm the timescales.
  • Kaius2009
    Options
    Hi thanks for the replies.

Yes it was planned holiday, so she should have really handed it over to some one.

'The man' literally had no idea about anything, her secretary seemed equally as clueless. We are ready to exchange, she was waiting on one thing (hence the 2 weeks since the last attempt to exchange) that we now have confirmation is all sorted.

And yes, at my solicitors advice, we have put in notice on our flat to be moved out by 3rd November. Unfortunately there is structural work that needs doing on the house before we can move in - it'll only take a week, but I really don't want to be living in a building site when we move in.

I'm going to be calling 'the man' shortly for an update, I'm just so frustrated that she could just leave it in the lurch like this.

What I also worry is that my solicitor has made it clear that we have to wait 5 working days between exchange and completion - so that's another week before I can get builders in! I have also taken 2 weeks off work from the 17th under the impression I would have a house by then!

So stressed out now - just want it all to be over.

Thanks again.
  • hazyjo
    edited 10 October 2016 at 12:38PM
    Options
    And yes, at my solicitors advice, we have put in notice on our flat to be moved out by 3rd November. Unfortunately there is structural work that needs doing on the house before we can move in - it'll only take a week, but I really don't want to be living in a building site when we move in.

What I also worry is that my solicitor has made it clear that we have to wait 5 working days between exchange and completion - so that's another week before I can get builders in! I have also taken 2 weeks off work from the 17th under the impression I would have a house by then!

A predicted exchange date is always a bit iffy. That and completion is never set in stone until exchange actually happens. Your solicitor needs to give their head a wobble. It's not a good idea to give notice until you have exchanged. What if the sellers decide not to sell? Crazy.

For those reasons, you also shouldn't have boked holiday yet - and the chances of your builders being available? Low I should imagine. Unless you have already booked them in too?

Hmm.

Jx
  • Rain_Shadow
    Rain_Shadow Posts: 1,798 Forumite
    Options

So stressed out now - just want it all to be over.

Thanks again.

Why do you have to? It certainly isn't a legal requirement afaik.
    You can pick your friends and you can pick your nose but you can't pick your friend's nose.
  • glentoran99
    glentoran99 Posts: 5,821 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    nope you can do both on same day if so inclined
  • Kaius2009
    Options
    Yes I did think it a bit iffy, but she seemed completely confident that it would all be sorted and we would be in way before the 3rd so wouldn't be a problem. Bearing in mind we had our offer accepted 28th July, and we have no chain, and the house is empty, it's taking so LOOONGGGG!

Apparently the 5 working day thing is instructions by the lender (Halifax) has anyone heard of this before?

Luckily my family own a building contractors, so should be able to get the builders in as and when I need - but as you say - who knows! May well be living in a building site after all.

Fingers crossed 'the man' is actually 'superman'!!
  • hazyjo
    Options
    Yes I did think it a bit iffy, but she seemed completely confident that it would all be sorted and we would be in way before the 3rd so wouldn't be a problem. Bearing in mind we had our offer accepted 28th July, and we have no chain, and the house is empty, it's taking so LOOONGGGG!

12 weeks is average. I've had one take 5 weeks, another 5 months.

I don't think yours has taken a long time so far - just normal. Being empty doesn't make much difference tbh - if anything, it means the vendors may even be slower to respond/find paperwork, etc. Chain free can help, although I had a very short chain with the 5 month purchase - there were just lots of queries/problems along the way. Believe it or not, we had an investor buying and were aiming to exchange within 3-4 weeks of their offer lol!

Jx
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family