IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

UKCPS N1 Issued

Options
Hi all,

I've had a good read on lots of threads but can't seem to find what I need.

I work as a teacher and we are given permits to park in a nearby carpark managed by UKCPS, I received a PCN despite having a permit so I ignored all correspondence (rather naively), now I am looking at a claim form from MCO. I left the school at Easter and no longer have the permit so the situation is a little tricky.

I am wondering how to word my defence if anyone could help?

Thanks,
Phil

Comments

• Redx
    Redx Posts: 38,084 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 23 July 2017 at 9:38PM
    Options
    read post #2 of the NEWBIES sticky thread

then read any 2017 defences for IPC members , UKCPS , Gladstones claims , BW LEGAL , EXCEL parking etc on this forum and over on pepipoo forums

there will be dozens you can read , plus compare the BPA ones like CEL and UKPC etc

especially read this years court claim threads by lamilad (who beat Excel/VCS)

NOBODY here will do it for you , BUT if you post your draft (homework , lol) on here then other people will "mark it" and red pen the stuff that needs editing/changing/deleting
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,730 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Ask the Headteacher to email confirmation that you did have a permit at the material time and were fully authorised to park there. You will need that as evidence.

Please base your defence on other UKCPS permit ones you read on here, by searching the forum for 'UKCPS permit defence' and show us what you come up with.

I assume you have read post #2 of the NEWBIES thread, have done the AOS and know what to do when?
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • peej10
    peej10 Posts: 4 Newbie
    Options
    Thanks for the advice, will get to work.
  • peej10
    Options
    Am I right in thinking that the wording of the "WITHOUT A VALID PERMIT OR AUTHORITY" means that if I am allowed to park in there, even if the permit had fallen off (which is may have I can't remember now it was in March), I have authority to do so and would not be subject to a penalty?

STATEMENT OF DEFENCE

In The County Court Business Centre

Claim No: XXXXX

UKCPS Ltd
    1200 Century Way, Thorpe Park Business Park, Colton, LS15 8ZA

The Defendant is the registered keeper and driver of vehicle registration number XXXXXX.

The defendant denies the Claim in its entirety, asserts that she is not liable to the Claimant for the sum claimed, or any amount.

As an unrepresented litigant in person, I respectfully ask that I be permitted to amend and or supplement this interim defence as may be required following a fuller disclosure of the Claimants case.

1. The Claim states that, “a ticket was issued for parking WITHOUT A VALID PERMIT OR AUTHORITY” to a vehicle with registration number XXXXXX on land named XXXXXXXXX. This land is managed by the claimant UKCPS Ltd and vehicles parked at the site are subject to parking restrictions which are set out on signs at the site and form a contract between the driver of the vehicle and UKCPS Ltd. The Defendant does in fact have the authority to park in the car park due to a business relationship between the landowner and the Defendant’s employer.

2. The Defendant disputes the relevance and legitimacy of the said contract in this case due to the particulars of the signage in which the Claimant refers “CUSTOMER CAR PARK” and “PERMITS MUST BE DISPLAYED” for the following reasons:
    a. On the day the ticket was issued, the Defendant was employed as a teacher at XXXXXXXXX. She was working on the day in question and was neither a Customer or Visitor to XXXXXXX. There is no signage information relating to how or where an employee is or is not allowed to park, so no contract was ever agreed if a contract ever existed, or subject to the “Terms or Conditions” of said contract. The English dictionary defines a customer as “A person who buys goods or services from a shop or business”.
    b. The defendant was a permit holder and was parked within the confines of a marked bay.
    c. No loss occurred to either the Landowner or its Agent as a result of where the vehicle was parked, it caused no obstruction to other drivers or pedestrians.
    d. The defendant asserts that failure to provide adequate signage for employees specifically indicating any “Parking Restrictions” or “Terms of Conditions” cannot form any contractual agreement.

4. No Standing – this distinguishes this case from the Beavis case, UKCPS Ltd are not the lawful occupier of the land. I have reasonable belief that they do not have the authority to issue charges on this land in their own name and that they have no right to bring this case.
    a. The Claimant is not the landowner and is merely an agent acting on behalf of the landowner and has failed to demonstrate their legal standing to form a contract.
    b. The claimant is not the landowner and suffers no loss whatsoever as a result of a vehicle parking at the location in question.
    c. The Claimant is put to proof that it has sufficient interest in the land or that there are specific terms in its contract to bring an action on its own behalf. As a third party agent, the Claimant may not pursue any charge. I have reasonable belief that they do not have the authority to issue charges on this land in their own name and that they have no right to bring action regarding this claim.

7. The driver did not enter into any “agreement on the charge” no consideration flowed between the parties and no contract was established.
    a. The Defendant denies that the driver would have agreed to pay the original demand of £100 to agree to the alleged contract had the terms and conditions of the contract been properly displayed and accessible.

8. a. The Defendant has reasonable belief that the Claimant has not incurred £50 costs to pursue an alleged £100 debt.
    b. Notwithstanding the Defendant’s belief, the costs are in any case not recoverable.

9. The Claimant has at no time provided an explanation how the sum of £100 has been calculated, or the conduct that gave rise to it. The only breakdown of additional costs by UKCPS (should further action be taken) is to form a scaremongering threat in their belief this will force the owner/driver to pay.
    a. The protection of Freedom Act Para 4(5) states that the maximum sum that may be recovered from the keeper is the charge stated on the Notice to Keeper.

10. The Defendant is able to provide evidence of the parking permit as well as proof of employment by XXXXXXXXX, with whom employees can park in XXXXXXXXX.

Statement of Truth:

I confirm that the contents of this statement are true to the best of my knowledge and belief.
  • Lamilad
    Lamilad Posts: 1,412 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Am I right in thinking that the wording of the "WITHOUT A VALID PERMIT OR AUTHORITY" means that if I am allowed to park in there, even if the permit had fallen off (which is may have I can't remember now it was in March), I have authority to do so and would not be subject to a penalty?
    First things first - this isn't a 'penalty' it is a speculative invoice from a private company.
    WITHOUT A VALID PERMIT OR AUTHORITY
    Does it actually say without "displaying" a valid permit?

If you had a permit then you had authority to park. PPCs often try to sting motorists whose permit had fallen down.

As advised by CM, a letter from the head will be very useful in destroying their case
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,730 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options

Yes, and it is part of Consumer law that any ambiguity in a contract is the trader's problem (contra proferentem) and MUST be interpreted in the way which MOST favours the consumer (and you are a consumer for this purpose but you are right, you are not a 'customer').
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • peej10
    peej10 Posts: 4 Newbie
    edited 24 July 2017 at 12:08AM
    Options
    Lamilad wrote: »
    Does it actually say without "displaying" a valid permit?
    EDIT: It states "A ticket was issued for parking WITHOUT A VALID PERMIT OR AUTHORITY". No mention of displaying.
  • Redx
    Redx Posts: 38,084 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    the numbering scheme is poor , I suggest you have either missed parts out , OR removed them and not renumbered , lol

and it is most definitely an INVOICE , that is the only correct legal term

no private parking company can issue a "penalty" on private land
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family