Baby Debt (He's nearly 6)!

Options

Comments

• wishingthemortgaheaway
    Options
    Hi, I was reading your diary last night and fell asleep before I had chance to reply. I hope you are successful in your financial journey.

I can't add any comments to you SoA other than what everyone else has said, so I hope you have some success bringing those bits and bobs down.

Great news on the sales, hopefully more will come. Just keep watching the pennies and plodding along.
    Outstanding mortgage: £23,181 (December 19)
    MFW 2020 Challenge Member #10 0/£2318
  • BadBookkeeper
    Options
    Thank you.

I'm going to start saving my 50ps for my Xmas pot. Also thinking of altering how I do my food shop. Thinking of doing a monthly shop from T for stuff I can't get / don't like from Aldis then go to aldis weekly anyone do this?

Thinking about doing a declutter for music magpie stuff over the weekend . is it just DVDs and games?

Have a good day everyone! :)
    Lightbulb moment - 17/08/2017 £17,033.  Current CC debt £1400 DFD 31/7/24 5 months to go…. 16 weeks 

• Dorastar
    Dorastar Posts: 2,173 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Well done on the sale, every little bit does help. Haven't posted my SOA yet but also have quite high water rates & not metered, wonder if you're in similar area of country. Well done on getting started. Have a look at some of the challenges especially survey stuff because that can add up.
    Mortgage £128,626 going down slowly
  • BadBookkeeper
    Options
    Thanks Dorastar. We're in North Wales. Couldn't go on a meter as OH is constantly washing the cars, power washing the drive and patio and then theres the constant washing machine & dishwasher and baths so thought it was reasonable to be fair!

Any good tips on reducing the gas and electric? We live in a 3 bed house on gas central heating. Oven is gas (one of those big range ones)! hob and everything else electric. Just switched to E/D/F from SP so might settle down and see the saving in couple of months....

Ran out of a couple of my make up items this week. Usually would buy them regardless however gone make up free today and nobody died!! Actually enjoyed the extra 10 minutes I had free this morning too!
    Lightbulb moment - 17/08/2017 £17,033.  Current CC debt £1400 DFD 31/7/24 5 months to go…. 16 weeks 

• BadBookkeeper
    Options
    Epic fail :( put myself on a cash budget & just paid by debit card for our Friday night sweet treats! Didn't even give it a thought:mad: I've put the card in a different slot now in my purse to make me think next time!

• missymoo81
    missymoo81 Posts: 7,695 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Hey badbookkeeper! You sound like me! I have a similar job and I too am in debt! Well done on taking the first steps! I've taken myself off to bed, I'm hungry and would quite like a Chinese but there's no money in the pot for that, so bed it is lol!
  • BadBookkeeper
    Options
    Well done for not giving missymoo:T. Just took some MSE tips and blagged a free movie from Sky! My 5 year old made up as he was saving up to buy it! :money:

• missymoo81
    missymoo81 Posts: 7,695 Forumite
    Options
    Ah well done Hun! I get a major kick out of getting free stuff! I actually used a voucher in John Lewis cafe for a free coffee, which was ace but they made DD age 4 a babycinno for free too, win win! Enjoy your film with your little one
  • MrsSave
    MrsSave Posts: 1,817 Forumite
    Options
    Hi! We're in a similar position. I'm still paying off debts from my first maternity leave in 2013. We were doing well until the second maternity hit! Back on plan now! I'm also only 1 exam away from qualifying as an AAT bookkeeper! I'm also Welsh!

Your mortgage jumps out as being high to me for a £140,000 house. Our house is £130,000 and our original mortgage was £650 per month, but 12 months ago I managed to switch it with the same provider to under £500 per month. We didn't re mortgage, I did it all online, and it was agreed within a day or so if I remember correctly. It's worth checking whether you can transfer to a different rate with your current provider.

I aim for around £45 per month for groceries (sometime goes up to £50). I meal plan, and include a couple of cheaper meals a week (jacket, beans and bacon, or beans and toast). I also put a little aside each month for treats (usually a Friday night trip to the shop!!). I shop at Tesco, and have it delivered (pay the monthly delivery charge) and don't pay for bags!
    Starting a new debt free journey
    Starting Debt: £5,250
    Current Debt: £4,995.50
    Amount Paid: £254.50 Percentage Paid: 4.84%
    Emergency Fund: £350
  • Hiddenidenity
    Hiddenidenity Posts: 5,423 Forumite
    Options
    For cutting back I think making slow changes work better than jumping in head first cutting everything as far as possible and then when something pops up feeling like you've 'failed' and not only that because long term it would make me feel sad if I did.

Aim to knock £5 a week of the grocery, then another £5 once you've stuck to the previous budget. Then find where you've cut enough that you're saving but not so much that you feel like you're missing out and then go blow the savings on a treat.

As for saving on gas and elec I'm sure there's a guide on the main board for saving gas/elec/water and little things that make a difference over the month etc.

You're doing really well be proud :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport