High hedges act or what ever it is?

Options
Hi, posted here as unsure if there is a better section.

I understand the HHA as detailed on the GOV site, but what I can't find is what is the definition of a hedge?

I, like most will think a hedge is something that divides neighbours, (often literally), ie, it's a boundary issue.

But take a scenario where a 10 foot hedge is 4 metres from a boundary with a 2 metre hedge a metre from said boundary.

Place a 15 ft high hedge a further 2 metres back and I think you might understand.

Yes it is about light loss, we've seen neighbour wars where layer upon layer of Leylandii were exposed after the front row was cut back.

So' is there a direct link between hedge height and distance from boundary or is it that light loss has to be proven
I like the thanks button, but ,please, an I agree button.

Will the grammar and spelling police respect I do make grammatical errors, and have carp spelling, no need to remind me.;)

Always expect the unexpected:eek:and then you won't be dissapointed

Comments

• DTDfanBoy
    DTDfanBoy Posts: 1,704 Forumite
    Options
    What are you viewing on the GOV site, their PDF explains the process pretty well, including how to adjust action height calculations for a hedge set back from the boundary.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/9408/hedgeheight.pdf
  • cyclonebri1
    cyclonebri1 Posts: 12,827 Forumite
    edited 26 May 2016 at 6:23PM
    Options
    DTDfanBoy wrote: »
    What are you viewing on the GOV site, their PDF explains the process pretty well, including how to adjust action height calculations for a hedge set back from the boundary.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/9408/hedgeheight.pdf

My confusion starts in page five?

2 or more evergreens in a line?

Take this to the extreme, a tree on the boundary or 10mtrs inside aligned with a a tree 100mtrs away on your property is therefore a hedge, get my drift.

You may want to know more, I'm simply asking about how our neighbour can legitimately complain about our use of the land to the rear of her property with regard to trees or hedges, or, and this is the issue do "2 or more evergreens in a line" form a hedge or a pair of trees

The difference in 2 trees in a direct line away from the boundary is totally different to a hedge across a boundary, yes, so I guess it's back to light loss calcs
    I like the thanks button, but ,please, an I agree button.

Will the grammar and spelling police respect I do make grammatical errors, and have carp spelling, no need to remind me.;)

Always expect the unexpected:eek:and then you won't be dissapointed
  • JP08
    JP08 Posts: 851 Forumite
    Options
    I suspect the meaning of "in a line" is that they are touching - otherwise they are not a hedge, they are two trees !
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure