Redundancy Advice

Options
OH was handed a letter on the 16th of this month stating that two people in the department were to be made redundant and the department itself will cease trading on the 30/05.

The letter is a standard template with just name/dates added in. The problem is that the letter has some dates omitted, it just has <date> written instead of an actual date. This occurs twice in the letter, one is a deadline for volunteering for voluntary redundancy and the other is to do with the final decision.

In the meeting when these letters were issued no other dates were mentioned/discussed so OH took (he's never been made redundant before) that if he was to be made redundant the 30/05/14 would be he last day.

Fast forward to today OH's manager has said different and swears blind that the dates were on the letter (there really not!). As he doesn't know if his jobs safe he has been really proactive and applied for loads of jobs signed onto various agencies, but told them his last day would be the 30/05 but it would be the 09/05 instead.
Can they move the dates around like this? I understand that he is only entitled to a weeks notice but i didn't think they could say one date then change their minds.

Any advice or clarification would be greatly appreciated.
Many thanks in advance.

Comments

• getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    He has the letter?

The dates that are important are the date he was/has/will given notice the job was being terminated and his notice period.

How long has he worked there?

might need more info from the letter and what was said in the meeting as it is not clear if has been given notice or just that redundancies will be happening.
  • Crystal85
    Crystal85 Posts: 12 Forumite
    Options
    Yes he has the letter, he has been there since August 2013 so less than a year.
    He said that in the meeting the whole department was given the letter and that a short discussion followed detailing that they will meet with everyone in the department to discuss the redundancy and that the only date mentioned was the 30/05.

If he has just been told that redundancies are happening and not given notice I'm guessing they can do what they like regarding dates as long as he has the weeks notice then?

Many thanks in advance.
  • bll78
    bll78 Posts: 213 Forumite
    Options
    The simple fact is that with less than 2 years service he's not eligible for redundancy, they could get rid of him today without having said a word about anything before this .
    If I were in his shoes I'd be quiet and keep on applying for jobs. If he keeps asking questions they may start looking at his rights in detail they may realise that they're giving him more notice (i.e paying him) for longer than they have to and get rid of him immediately.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure