Job merged

Recommendations: 0 Hi, I wonder if you can help answer a quick question.

Over the past month the company I work for has announced a restructure and mine and a colleagues roles are to merge leaving one position.
At the same time a new position is being created in the team that both of us are capable of doing.
Knowing that we would be against each other for the "preferred role" and that the "loser" would probably get the new role we didn't see any real reason for concern.
We were told that the successful candidate would be decided via an interview. We both had the interview and to our astonishment neither of us were successful (for either roles). We will enter the consultation phase on Thursday and the job(s) will be advertised internally.

Both of us were told that we weren't the type of managers to take the new roles forward.

The question is: Can they do this? Shouldn't they at least offer the best candidate the role?

Obviously this is happening now so any advise you can give would be gratefully received.

Comments

• ableandy
    ableandy Posts: 265 Forumite
    They are well within their rights. If they believe that neither of you are suitable to develop the role. You should ask them for specific feedback.

You now need to focus on the redundancy package and your exit strategy.
    :jI am an Employment Law Paralegal and an experienced Human Resources Manager and offer my guidance as simply that ... guidance :j
  • roobee13
    roobee13 Posts: 204 Forumite
    Hi, I'm a newbie to posting, sorry if you've already had further advice!

I went through a similar situation last year, the company redundancy/restructure policy where I worked was 'if your job changed more than 50% it had to go to interview, if it didn't then it would be a role you can just move into'.

As you said you feel capable of doing either role I'd suggest finding and reading any redundancy and HR policies you can to see if you have a case.

If not then as ableandy says, just concentrate on your exit strategy. I was fortunate to move to a lovely company who treat me ten time better than the place I left! Good luck, hope it all works out.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure