Charities board update
Please note, our Forum rules no longer allow the posting of links to personal fundraising or crowdfunding pages, such as JustGiving. You can read the full set of our Forum rules here.

Charity sweets

Options
grumpygardener
grumpygardener Posts: 29 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
edited 12 December 2015 at 11:32PM in Charities
Yesterday my wife bought a small bag of chocolate raisins from a Macmillan Sweets4 box left at her hairdressers. She didn't think twice about the £1 donation, Macmillan is a very worthy cause. It wasn't until she got home that she found out only 10 pence of that £1 actually goes to Macmillan. What a swindle by Sweets4, giving only a small percentage - the other 90p (less the cost of the few sweets inside) no doubt lining other peoples' pockets.

Comments

• z1000
    z1000 Posts: 1 Newbie
    Options
    So the fuel for delivering them, the wages of the people that deliver them, the VAT on the sweets, the cost or packaging, distribution, warehousing, insurance and vehicles all have to come out of that 90p, that is also assuming that everyone is honest and puts in £1, not 50p or indeed no money at all so the theft rate is actually running at about 25% currently.
    Do you know of any other business that can operate with 25% of the stock being thieved AND still donate the money?
    Thought not,
  • BJV
    BJV Posts: 2,535 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    MMMM.... I would think that any company big enough to be able to have a distribution center, cars, insurance, fuel, staff would also be able to negotiate the price down for cheap sweets. Therefore being able to give more to the cause that people think they are donating to.

I think well for me at least and I have seen the type of sweets the post refers to people know that they are paying more but don't mine as they think that a chunk is going to a good cause.

The reality is that it does not.

Surprisingly if this is the company you are talking about Sweets 4 Limited have just gone into liquidation. https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/07505351
    Happiness, Health and Wealth in that order please!:A
  • Katiehound
    Katiehound Posts: 7,582 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I would suggest there is nothing new there- think of all the charity Christmas cards which are sold with only a teeny percentage actually going to the charity.
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything! --
    Many thanks
    -Stash bust:in 2022:337
    Stash bust :2023. 120duvets, 24 bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lav bags,36 angels,9 bones, 1 knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramids = total 420 total spend £5. Total for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggy duvets,30 pyramids, 6 hottie covers, 4 knit hats,13 crochet angels,1 shopper, 87cards=164 £88.25 spent!!!
  • photome
    photome Posts: 16,363 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    BJV wrote: »
    MMMM.... I would think that any company big enough to be able to have a distribution center, cars, insurance, fuel, staff would also be able to negotiate the price down for cheap sweets. Therefore being able to give more to the cause that people think they are donating to.

I think well for me at least and I have seen the type of sweets the post refers to people know that they are paying more but don't mine as they think that a chunk is going to a good cause.

The reality is that it does not.

Surprisingly if this is the company you are talking about Sweets 4 Limited have just gone into liquidation. https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/07505351

Maybe 10p a packet was more than they could afford
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport