esa failed medical but cannot sign on. panicking

Options
2»

Comments

• angel691
    angel691 Posts: 22 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just to update I had my tribunal Friday and won. Wca gave me 0 points but tribunal gave me 23 and said I shouldn't attend another medical for 2 years. Now just to wait for back dated pay, which knowing dwp will take months ☹
  • Finefoot
    Finefoot Posts: 644 Forumite
    Options
    Good! Hopefully that nasty bloke has moved on as well.
    Loving the sunny days!
  • angel691
    Options
    Unfortunately not, he got 6 months in prison, and a 2 yr injunction, served 3 & got out in april and messages started coming again from various numbers & accounts but im on venlaflaxine now for my anxiety and am much more stable and able to cope with it. Just keep reporting to police and hope they prove its him eventually and he will get bored of going to jail more than I will of blocking him and calling police ☺
  • Profligate
    Profligate Posts: 41 Forumite
    Options
    angel691 wrote: »
    Just to update I had my tribunal Friday and won. Wca gave me 0 points but tribunal gave me 23 and said I shouldn't attend another medical for 2 years. Now just to wait for back dated pay, which knowing dwp will take months ☹

Really pleased to hear you got this outcome at tribunal, Angel.

It no longer surprises me when I hear about someone who gets lots of points at tribunal after being initially declared 'fit for work' at the WCA.

But the disparity between points awarded , and the injustice of the first decision (and the consequences of it), does still shock.

I hope a weight has lifted and this award brings you some respite
  • angel691
    Options
    I have heard lots of stories and even the judge said the medical is not fit for purpose. Shockingly while I was at tribunal there was a guy who was recovering from chemo who was found fit for work! All I wanted was time to get myself stable, I never intended to be on benefits forever and my mental health problems alone have never stopped me working but this last yr has been hell for me and luckily the judge saw that.
    The stress this has caused made my mental health worse as I was almost evicted because I was unable to pay my bedroom tax and the reduction in money and being sanctioned by jc for being unable to meet their demands, I had to rely on food banks and fuel vouchers several times and not being able to afford taxis meant I barely went out.

I'd advise anyone to go to citizens advice or disabled advice soon as they get that form as dab said to me 80% of ppl who do it alone, fail.
    Even called was today as I was due to send in a sick note and they already have my tribunal notice, have amended my claim and I will have my back pay in a week
    :j
  • tazwhoever
    tazwhoever Posts: 1,326 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'm confused because shouldn't the WCA be done correctly and no missing anything out? Then when it goes to tribunal it gets overturned. Seems like WCA assessors​ aren't following the policy/law?
  • angel691
    Options
    On my assessment he barely acknowledged my mental health problems even though I went into a lot of detail about how it affects me day to day. He described my kidney problem as abdominal pain. He missed off a lot of things said and a lot of wat he said was not said at all. I think they should be videod or taped so there's proof because dab say this misreporting is common. But when ppl have asked to record them they are told no.
  • tazwhoever
    tazwhoever Posts: 1,326 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    tazwhoever wrote: »
    I'm confused because shouldn't the WCA be done correctly and no missing anything out? Then when it goes to tribunal it gets overturned. Seems like WCA assessors​ aren't following the policy/law?

Is there an answer to this question?
  • Muttleythefrog
    Muttleythefrog Posts: 19,766 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 21 June 2017 at 3:07AM
    Options
    tazwhoever wrote: »
    I can probably answer your question. The WCA should be done correctly. The criteria assessed.. the descriptors... are in themselves probably not that wide of sense but assessing their applicability has been a tragic problem. The private contractors.. initially the much maligned ATOS Healthcare.. simply cut corners and seemed to have institutional failures as widely exposed by former employees, claimants, undercover work and inquiry. The HCPs doing the assessments are it seems not always cream of the crop in their respective professions either and probably among those most likely to flout professional standards or patient care... I don't say that lightly.. I've heard it described by medical professionals such as nurses as the 'pits of the profession to do disability assessments'. In terms of short cutting there is for example often a failure to read the evidence in advance (a breach of laid down protocol) and the focus of the assessments seems to be on speed and efficiency over accuracy or truth. Common complaints (some repeated above) seem logical in that context.

There are more general problems that some claimants by their very nature will struggle to accurately communicate their problems relevant to the WCA and that these assessments are often 'fish out of water' events in that they're very unusual circumstances presented compared to the typical day of the claimant. As example.. many years ago in my WCA assessment I was described as having poor rapport and eye contact.. this runs counter to my normal interactions with people of short durations I'm exposed to... in contrast I should present as upbeat, engaging, humorous and sociable (all of the things which create the deception of someone genuine engaged and healthy)... and my eye contact should be good.... however if presented with a deceitful and manipulative aggressive personality with a name and profession different than a FOI request revealed would examine me and this person rarely looks up from a computer monitor then yes I will show poor rapport and poor eye contact... so the observations were probably correct but the inferences could be wildly wrong.

The understanding of the law as such is probably poor as a result of training and institutional biases... and the same seems true of the DWP Decision Makers who seem to typically just go along with the assessment report and sometimes it seems even repeat standard legally flawed carp... I'm using reference to some degree to the same problems arising in PIP assessments which seem to mirror very well problems with the WCA and for entirely unsurprising reasons. In the end it seems appeal tribunals may be the most open possibility to establishing truth and accurate assessment.

I note the tribunal judge here was quite contemptuous in reference to the assessment report as has been reported by others including one judge describing it as "trash". (It's worth reminding ourselves we are talking about professionals who normally will probably be very diplomatic and inoffensive in their language..so when they criticise evidence in this way they probably do so with some exasperation). I think claimants would generally accept that in stranger stranger short duration assessments there will be some inaccuracy.. but I think all should expect that any should come about for honest reason. When someone manages to trigger no scoring/qualifying descriptors in an assessment or in 2 DWP DM decisions and then goes on to qualify for ESA via tribunal then you can only assume something has gone badly wrong - if that was rare it might be tolerable but it clearly is not rare, has not been rare since ESA was launched, and here is another case... the difference between zero points and 23 is a lot of error of judgement somewhere and I'd take a solid punt I know at which end most, if not all, occurred.

I've only just read the above thread today btw.. so well done Op... sounds like you've been through the mill... hopefully the backdated payments will soon be made and provide a moment of accomplishment!
    "Do not attribute to conspiracy what can adequately be explained by incompetence" - rogerblack
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure