Need not Want.

Options

Comments

• 365days
    365days Posts: 1,347 Forumite
    Options
    I don't want to get into dosing etc for paracetomal if any one reading is in any doubt I suggest asking NHS direct or their GP. Good idea for my hoofing preteen who finds swallowing half tablets hard. However brand medicine is horrifically overpriced. Every time i see someone buying nurofen i want to shout 'Don't do it!!'

So to get it back on track. Nurofen = want Ibobrufen = need.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • FireWyrm
    FireWyrm Posts: 6,557 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    365days wrote: »
    I don't want to get into dosing etc for paracetomal if any one reading is in any doubt I suggest asking NHS direct or their GP. Good idea for my hoofing preteen who finds swallowing half tablets hard. However brand medicine is horrifically overpriced. Every time i see someone buying nurofen i want to shout 'Don't do it!!'

So to get it back on track. Nurofen = want Ibobrufen = need.

Actually, I can't swallow tablets either. I do without or crush them.
    Debt Free! Long road, but we did it
    Meet my best friend : YNAB (you need a budget)
    My other best friend is a filofax.
    Do or do not, there is no try....Yoda.

[/COLOR]
  • maxheadroom
    maxheadroom Posts: 145 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 31 December 2012 at 11:46AM
    Options
    The standard paracetamol tablet you buy over the counter in the UK contains 500mg (not 100mg as you assert in you previous post)

Doing what you suggest may be ok for a 'hoofing preteen' it really is not OK for babies, toddlers and preschoolers there is a significant risk of chronic overdose due to their size.

I did not say buy a brand, thats plain stupid, just buy a cheap generic suspension - they are often not on display as their is less profit on them may have to ask a pharmacy counter (which the last time i bought some lacked colouring - presumably because that adds cost)

I'll leave it at that
  • Ilona
    Ilona Posts: 2,449 Forumite
    Options
    I need to pay my mortgage, house insurance, council tax, gas, electricity, and water. Need to pay for dentistry. Need to buy food for me and my cats, and pay their vet bills. Everything else is a want.
    Ilona
    I love skip diving.
    :D
  • LittleMissGiggles123
    Options
    The idea for this thread is a great one. We all have that something sitting in our house that we bought because we 'needed' it.

I've got a ridiculous amount of almost identical black shoes in my house, that I 'needed' because one had a slightly higher heel than the other, was a different material, a slightly different shade of black (??) or any other silly reason that I used to convince myself I needed them.

In reality I only need one pair of black shoes & thats the pair I wear to work. In fact it's the pair that I wear most often because they not only look smart enough for work, but also look good with some jeans & a nice top for going out. And even more silly of me is, these shoes were bought around 6 years ago, I've bought at least 10 more pairs of black shoes since then but still go back to this 6 year old pair of black shoes.

So I will be following this thread & my only New Years Resolution this year is to think about things before I buy them, do I need them or do I want them? I think I already know what the answer will be most of the time.

As for need, I think I'm all set at the moment. Bills come out tomorrow (or wednesday because of bank holiday) but I actually don't need anything this month. Milk gets delivered (cheaper than supermarket bought), loads of food in freezer & cupboards. Only thing I will need this month is bread throughout the month to make my daughters packed lunch for school when they go back.

x
  • kerri_gt
    kerri_gt Posts: 11,202 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Xmas Saver!
    Options
    MrsM1982 wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

I need to live by this rule for 2013!!!

I have 3 children age 6, 3 and 4 month and they had so many toys for Christmas and they already have loads to. They just ended up with so much that they didn't know what to play with and I don't think they appriated it. So I've already decided that next year will be different, I've got a lot of debt to get rid of and I don't want spoilt kids!!

Deff suggest ebay or a car boot for unwanted toys - my niece has a ton of toys and my brother freely admits they've bought none of them new, either a few from car boots, or ones given to them by other people.
    julie2710 wrote: »
    I have just realised I need to go the supermarket today and this is always a bit dangerous for me so I am going to put here what I need!

Milk 2 pints
    Bread 1 loaf
    Chicken wings (for the dog)
    Some form of potato shapes/chips
    Coffee
    Hot chocolate
    Some form of chicken nuggets (for the boys)

Ok that's is all I need! I will have the boys with me which should help limit the time spent in there and therefore the risk factor!
    I'll see how I get on!

i saw the recipie for chicken nuggets a while back on this thread - how about getting the kids to help make them as well? cooking is a great way to keep them entertained, plus they learn valuable life skills - and before anyone panics about them dealing with raw meat (assuming they are old enough) explain to them that they mustn't lick their hands while cooking (applies to all cooking :eek:) and ensure they wash their hands when finished (again, applies to all cooking).

Love the idea of this thread btw - adding subscription now.
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• 365days
    365days Posts: 1,347 Forumite
    Options
    About to go shopping to Al2i's. There is NOTHING i need from the middle sections. Nothing. Even that amazing 'thing' that's half price. I NEED nothing except prelisted food/cat litter etc. There. I've put it out there. I will confess if I'm lured to the middle sections!
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • FireWyrm
    FireWyrm Posts: 6,557 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    I avoid the advertising channels for the same reason, you know the ones, that brilliant steam cleaner gizmo and the mop that goes round corners, the slippers that polish the floor etc.

We don't NEED them but it's hard to resist sometimes. If you've ever watched advertising closely, they are masters of psychology and even though I've managed to mop the floor for most of my life without needing a poly-micro fibre stretchable thingy, I still feel myself considering the idea.

Just popped into Aldi and walked out with under £10 worth of groceries...think I'm doing well.
    Debt Free! Long road, but we did it
    Meet my best friend : YNAB (you need a budget)
    My other best friend is a filofax.
    Do or do not, there is no try....Yoda.

[/COLOR]
  • digging
    digging Posts: 97 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    My zip broke on my work trousers before christmas, then my last pair zip was sticking so I waited for the sales as I 'need' a couple of pairs for work. Over christmas however I had a huge clear out of my clothes (got rid of 5 big bin bags full) and found 6 pairs of black work trousers at the bac of the wardrobe! I no longer 'need' them.

I do however need diesel for the car £50 should fill it up and do the whole month as I don't work too far away and will need fresh food. (cupboards and freezer are packed with non - perishables).

January is going to be a 'need' only month. Although if we get into it, do I 'need' fresh food like bread milk and fruit etc? or do I 'want' it? I say I 'need' it, although do I need a cup of tea? or do I want a cup of tea? maybe I don't 'need' milk - or maybe I do 'need' the calcium...or maybe I'm thinking too much about it now. ok I decided I do 'need' milk (for the calcium of course;))
  • life_unexpected_2
    Options
    Love the idea of this thread. I read Not buying it: My Year without shopping a couple of years ago and this inspired me to try something similar but I found it hard to stick to with having a fashion led consumerist DD. Though she is now at an age were she is starting to understand the value of money and as we now have OH debt to pay off thinks we all need to have the attitude of do I need it or want it.

OH needs new trainers as he runs marathons and old ones are now causing him to sustain injuries. Although he can get these with money he got a Christmas.

Other than this, food,petrol and the normal living expenses(i.e rent, water, etc) we only need food which I will order on line to stop OH adding treats to it, such as the odd bottle of wine.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure