PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Flooring

Options
Hi all,

I'm about to buy my first flat and have just seen the lease.

It says: maintain adequate close carpeting with underfelt or underlay throughout the demised premises or take such other steps in relation to the composition or covering of the floors of the premises as the lessor may reasonably deem adequate having regard to the peace and quiet of the occupants in the block or in accordance with any relevant building regulation".

It is currently carpeted. I want laminate, underlay (decimal reducing), and area rugs. According to what I can see on rightmove/zoopla, flats in that block all have laminate, except the one I'm buying. The survey says the floor is concrete (first floor, purpose built block, 1990's build).

So I think that the soundproofing underlay and rugs are adequate measures? And I don't wear shoes at home but would be considerate anyway.

Thoughts?
Debt free (finally) and saving a deposit for my first home.

Comments

• boliston
    boliston Posts: 3,012 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I think some leases actually make carpet compulsory so this one sounds a bit more flexible. Tenants need protecting against someone laying a really cheap and nasty laminate with the cheapest possible non-acoustic underlay and making life hell for those underneath.
  • Ruby789
    Ruby789 Posts: 312 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks. It does sound a bit more flexible doesn't it. I certainly read it that way.

I don't want to annoy the flat below. When I was hunting, most of the flats were laminate. I assume this means that the newer underlay's on the market do a good job.

I've lived under flats with laminate and not heard much of anything. Perhaps I've been lucky.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    You'll only find out if there's an issue if/when the people below complain.

If they don't complain, no one will know, or care, what flooring you have.

So long as you appreciate what you are getting into and understand that the asolute worst case would be a complaint, followed by an inflexible freeholder insisting you take some further action re flooring.
  • Ruby789
    Options
    Thanks. Would there be any point in asking the solicitor to check if the flooring I have in mind fits their definition of 'adequate'?

Even if it passes the adequate test, if the person below tells me its a problem then obviously i'll deal with their complaints. I don't want to make people miserable.
  • Onawingandaprayer
    Options
    We're in EXACTLY the same situation and currently pondering just what to do. Our lease wording though isn't as generous as yours, and doesn't have an 'or'. However it's clearly written decades ago - pre-Sky dishes and stipulates that we're 'not to permit a person of unsound mind or a drunkard or one who leads an immoral life' into the premises. (which rather negates most of our friends...)

Any advice gratefully received (re the flooring, not the drunks etc.)
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Ruby789 wrote: »
    Thanks. Would there be any point in asking the solicitor to check if the flooring I have in mind fits their definition of 'adequate'?

Even if it passes the adequate test, if the person below tells me its a problem then obviously i'll deal with their complaints. I don't want to make people miserable.
    Depending on the freeholder, or management company, you might
    * get a quick reply within a week
    * wait 1 month - 6 months for a reply
    * never get a reply
    * have to pay for a reply

The 'adequate' test might actually depend not on the specific floor covering, but on whether the person below complains or not!
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'm not entirely sure how to interpret that clause but I think it's arguable that it means (adding some numbering and spacing):
    (1) maintain adequate close carpeting with underfelt or underlay throughout the demised premises or

(2) take such other steps in relation to the composition or covering of the floors of the premises:

(a) as the lessor may reasonably deem adequate having regard to the peace and quiet of the occupants in the block or

(b) in accordance with any relevant building regulation".

i.e. you don't need to seek consent as long as you're complying with building regulations (though I don't know what the relevant regulations require, and whether that means you need to adhere to current standards rather than those from whenever the flat was built).
  • Ruby789
    Options
    stipulates that we're 'not to permit a person of unsound mind or a drunkard or one who leads an immoral life' into the premises. (which rather negates most of our friends....)

Haha. Have something similar in mine, but yours has perfect phrasing!
  • Ruby789
    Options
    Thanks for the tip about building regulations. I found something from 2003, but it doesn't reference floor coverings. Just the floor construction. I'll keep looking.

It sounds like I can have the floor I want as long as I make provisions to limit its impact on downstairs. Rugs, felt pads on the bottom of all furniture, and no shoes.

And the wording is vague enough that I shouldn't have the problem of being accused of breach of lease when I go to sell it.
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,813 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    There are no building regulations for floor coverings, so I'd stop looking!
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure