Blutooth coverter -will it turn on with TV speaker

Options

Comments

• Norman_Castle
    Norman_Castle Posts: 11,871 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    how do you turn off the TV speakers
    Turning the volume down wouldn't affect the scart output.
  • flashg67
    flashg67 Posts: 3,997 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    If you go with bluetooth, you need a bluetooth adapter that is a transmitter (or both.
    , and use the 'transmit' setting only)
  • DEBTMONKEY1A
    DEBTMONKEY1A Posts: 1,496 Forumite
    Options
    Wow....thanks guys/gals......plenty to look at! Which socket would the Bluetooth transmitter fit to? Already have a small bluetooth 'bud' that would be SO much more comfortable and cheapest option as transmitters would be 5-6 quid only.

Again....sorry to be thick but as soon as Bluetooth plugged in TV speakers go off? Will deffo look st all options.

WOW.....technical knowledge is FAB on here-THANKS!
  • psychic_teabag
    psychic_teabag Posts: 2,865 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 6 March 2018 at 12:34PM
    Options
    Wow....thanks guys/gals......plenty to look at! Which socket would the Bluetooth transmitter fit to? Already have a small bluetooth 'bud' that would be SO much more comfortable and cheapest option as transmitters would be 5-6 quid only.

Again....sorry to be thick but as soon as Bluetooth plugged in TV speakers go off? Will deffo look st all options.

WOW.....technical knowledge is FAB on here-THANKS!

You can almost certainly get a bluetooth transmitter that would plug into the TV headphones output. But you said it's very hard to access the headphone socket, so you wouldn't want to have to keep reaching round the TV to unplug the transmitter in order to turn on the TV speakers.

The alternative is to, effectively, create a second headphone socket, taking the sound from the TV scart output socket. But this is all slightly speculative, since we don't know for sure exactly how that works - exact TV model number would help.

When I got the audio output from scart socket, I had to solder up my own connector. But I did once have a proper patch kit thing which allowed a scart connector to be converted to various other connectors. But something like this might do the trick:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Video-Piece-SCART-Adapter-S-Video/dp/B003JHCW02/ref=sr_1_3

If you had a bluetooth transmitter that could plug into the phono output, or which had a 3.5 socket that the cable could plug into, it might work. (Sorry, I'm not an expert in this area, but I'm sure someone else will point out if I'm wrong.) There are some cheaper ones that don't have the cables, which would make sense

Or a cable such as this:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/KnnX-28052-Bidirectional-Headphone-Transmitter-Black/dp/B00X5NRC5U/ref=sr_1_5
    would plug into the scart adapter thing and provide a 3.5mm headphone socket, into which a bluetooth transmitter could go. (If you don't already have a bluetooth transmitter, you could test by plugging in some powered pc speakers or something - may not be sufficient power to drive headphones or unpowered speakers directly. Or your existing IR headphones, for that matter.)

Anyway, all sorts of adapters are available, just a case of finding patching bits and pieces together to do what you need.
  • Norman_Castle
    Options
    .sorry to be thick but as soon as Bluetooth plugged in TV speakers go off?
    Plugged into headphone 3.5mm jack out the speakers will go off. Connected via phono audio out or scart adaptor speakers will stay on.
  • DEBTMONKEY1A
    Options
    Hey guys/gals, sorry for late reply.....man flu ( very serious lol!).: Will look at all options kindly given by yourselves by alas looks like I might have to move the TV....not convenient at all but as a worst case scenario. Don't have full model number but it's around 7 yes old,....still with fan picture!.. !!!8230;..and is a REGZA 42 INCH Toshiba. The scarf idea would have worked as in an easy location to reach but if tv speakers stay on as 1 poster mentioned it sort of defeats the object. Will keep the thread updated. Thanks for your time and kindness!
  • Norman_Castle
    edited 10 March 2018 at 10:08AM
    Options
    The scarf idea would have worked as in an easy location to reach but if tv speakers stay on
    Just turn the volume down. The scart output will not be affected!
    Don't have full model number
    It'll be on the back of the tv.
  • DEBTMONKEY1A
    Options
    Ahhh...will re look at the scart....thanks again!
  • DEBTMONKEY1A
    Options
    Hi.....will re look at the scary option and report back.....sounds ideal! Thanks again!
  • psychic_teabag
    Options
    If the SCART solution doesn't work, the other option suggested is to just not bother with the TV speakers at all, and plug a headphone splitter (eg from poundland) into the headphone socket permanently.

Then plug some powered speakers (eg pc speakers) and your IR/bluetooth transmitter into the cable splitter, and it becomes easy to switch between the two.

Or a slightl variant : my PC speakers have their own headphone socket on the front. Like your TV, plugging something into that disables the speakers. So that's equivalent to bringing your headphone socket round from the back of the TV to the front. So the PC speakers replace the TV speakers, but plugging the transmitter into the PC speakers would disable them in turn.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure