PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Builder deviating from plan

Options

Comments

• robatwork
    robatwork Posts: 7,094 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    It is indeed a matter of opinion - if your solicitor can get the builder to budge then job done. If not it would have to come down to the opinion of a judge.

I bought a house off plan once. Won't be doing that again. They actually built the kitchen the wrong way around as they forgot to transpose the diagram from the identical house built the other way around. I wouldn't trust a new home builder in the UK to mow a garden properly, let alone build a house with care.
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    AdrianC wrote: »
    A wall and a fence of similar height and opacity could easily be described as "of similar appearance and quality" - they both provide a solid boundary which prevents visibility.

Nah, I can't see that argument running. A fence does not look like a wall, and theyre certainly of different quality insofar as the fence will need more maintenance than a wall.

They should certainly be building in compliance with planning, so if the change needs approval they ought to be getting it.
  • Hollydog01
    Options
    My friends hubby who is an architect deals with planning. He said that they would get retrospective planning and it would more than likely get through. He said it’s more of a legal matter rather than planning.

I am going to compose an email to the builder rather than speaking to him as he runs rings around me on the phone. My contract states that both parties should try and resolve any issues before any third party is involved. At least I would have a record that I’m trying to resolve it.

Now what to put in the email.......:eek:
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    davidmcn wrote: »
    Nah, I can't see that argument running.
    Ultimately, it'll be down to a court to decide.
  • Hollydog01
    Options
    Hope you all had a great Xmas.

I’ve had a few days to mull this over with regard to builder puttting up boundary fence rather than a wall that was indicated on the plans. I think I need to speak to my solicitor first rather than emailing the builder. At least my solicitor can advise whether I have a case. Do you think this is the best course of action first?

Having seen all replies I really think it’s 50/50 if it went in font of a judge. I am not certainly under no illusions that I would win as what’s in the contract is subjective/opinion. So what are your thoughts on the following.
    1. As this dispute is to do with boundary rather than house itself can I still legally complete while pursuing through court
    2. In general how long could all this take
    3. Any idea on legal costs associated with this.
    4. If I lose what will be likely cost to me and would I incur legal costs for the builder
    5. If judge looked favourably on my case would I ever get my costs paid
    6. I’ve exchanged contracts so can the builder not sell to me and put I back on market. What are my rights?

I’m so upset with this, how come the builder can willy nilly do whatever they like without informing me, they have changed the look of the plot. Also how come the builder holds all the cards and the buyer has little clout as this what it seems to me.

Thank you for any advice/suggestions.
  • Chrisblue1962
    Chrisblue1962 Posts: 1,203 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 27 December 2017 at 2:24PM
    Options
    Actually, this may be a planning enforcement matter....

Most new-build housing developments now usually get planning permission which have strict conditions attached, for things like Boundary Treatments - Walls and fences. If they fail to discharge these conditions or deviate from submitted plans, they in breach of the planning permission and may be subject to planning enforcement action.

Remedy:
    • Phone your local Planning Authority and insist on speaking to the Planning Enforcement Officer and state they are in breach of the planning permission.
    • Ask the officer for the planning permission referenence so you can view it online yourself, including plans for the development - it will be something like 17/00123/FUL or 17/00123/OUT (YY/NNNNN/APP TYPE). FUL means Full application, OUT means Outline application
    • Ask your builder who is carrying out the Building Control function - Local Authority or Independent Registered BC company?
    • Ask your builder to provide a copy of the Building Control Completion Certificate (which is wholly separate from Planning Permission and any NHBC warranty) when build for your plot is complete.
    No need to involve solicitor at this stage but information gathered may show the builder you are serious and will come in handy later, especially if you sell at later date. e.g BC completion certificate.

Good Luck.
    DFW'er - Lightbulb moment : 31st July 2009 - £18,499
    28th October 2019 -
    £13,505 - 27% paid off.
    Demolishing my House of Debt.. one brick at a time!! :)
    Thinking of spending???..YNAB says "NO!!!!"

• davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    AdrianC wrote: »
    Ultimately, it'll be down to a court to decide.
    I've negotiated plenty of contracts which include a similar form of wording, and I doubt anybody involved has thought that it meant a developer can stick up a fence instead of a wall.
  • pinkshoes
    pinkshoes Posts: 20,090 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Hollydog01 wrote: »
    Today I spoke to the MD of the building company who has changed the boundary wall for a cheap fence. I asked what was the justification in changing, his reply was that in his opinion a fence would look better than a wall and that is the end of it. No apology, nothing. The plans clearly indicate a wall and I don’t think they have applied for retrospective planning, although they would most likely get it passed. I’m absolutely seething. How can he just change stuff on a whim and his opinion is the final say. My contract states the following
    The seller may find it necessary to change some of the elements of design or construction, if this is the case then
    1. Any suitable materials will be of similar appearance and no less quality than those being replaced
    2. They will not reduce the market value of the property
    3. The seller will notify the buyer of any changes as soon as practically possible.

I would write a very polite email to the builder MD, referring them back to their own T&Cs.

State that you have observed that they appear to have put up a fence around the boundary, and that as the plans clearly show a brick wall, you will assume that this will be a temporary feature and be replaced with a brick wall before completion, as they did not make this very clear during your recent discussion, and you would appreciate it if they would clarify this.

You could then point out that the walled garden was a feature that attracted you to the property, and as per their own terms and conditions, and changes will have a similar appearance, which is not the case at the moment.

We have a mostly walled garden which was a huge selling point for us! The cost of a 6ft wall compared to that of a fence is quite a difference, so it would also go against their second term about reducing the value.
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
  • Mgman1965
    Options
    Life of cheap fence in UK climate, 5-10yrs before needing complete replacement.

Life of well built brick wall in UK, 25-30yrs possibly more before needing repointing.

I certainly wouldn't be happy with the change.
  • Hollydog01
    Options
    Thank you all for your replies. It’s heartwarming to read all your thoughts and advice.
    I spoke to the builder Xmas eve and he made it clear this is not temporary fence. The fence is up and that’s how it’s going to be was his reply. Knowing him he won’t budge an inch.

What are my rights as I’ve exchanged. I presume he cannot put the plot back on the market? He is very intimidating and I feel I’m out of my depth and he knows this. I presume he can make things very awkward as the house is still being built. I would expect to legally complete end of Jan.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure