PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

THE Prepping thread - a new beginning :)

Options

Comments

• mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    WCS yes, I'm expecting prices to go through the roof next year, and the people putting them up will try to blame it on Brexit.
    I'm also expecting councils to cut right back - more than ever. And as you say Saipan, then we will all be in it together, this time it will be true though and not govt propaganda.
    I've already decided not to go to A&E unless in dire danger of imminent death - because conditions have got too bad, the things I read about people's experiences are like early Victorian clinics for the poor and destitute.
    And the only way I know how to prep and how to fight is to go back to a day when we were all a lot more self-sufficient and sensible. Living like my granny lol. Maybe a good prep would be any old time books on home nursing and managing the sick & injured...?
  • Living_proof
    Living_proof Posts: 1,921 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Mar I remember as a child doing classes in home nursing and first aid. St. John's Ambulance I think. The advice would be to clear the sick room of everything other than a bed and a chair, etc. and to remove all plants for fear of depriving the sick one of oxygen. It was probably forbidden to open a window! We did bed baths and all sorts, always moved the patient regularly to avoid bed sores and we were scrupulous with our hygeine measures. In those days it was easier - all the floors were lino!
    Solar Suntellite 250 x16 4kW Afore 3600TL dual 2KW E 2KW W no shade, DN15 March 14
    [SIZE Givenergy 9.5 battery added July 23
    [/SIZE]
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    Health care at home books - done & dusted :rotfl:. I've got about 35 - and that's not counting ones on specific illnesses that have "come near me".

I was absolutely shocked recently to read details of which A & E units are being considered for closure under NHS reorganisation. They are big major ones that wouldnt have crossed my mind in a month of Sundays as ones that could conceivably even be thought of for consideration for the "chop":eek:. There could be huge stretches of the country literally without an A & E to go to. Just how do you go to an A & E if there isn't one?:eek:

I've had visions for a long time of people just having to go to the nearest hospital of any description and sit/lie there in the corridors literally refusing to budge until they get treatment - and maybe hauling in members of the Press with them to take photographs of them doing so.. I only wish I was joking or being unduly pessimistic....but I don't think I am...
  • greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,165 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Worth remembering15193613_10157741146965654_157749332464164080_n.jpg?oh=31da6252e66d5b93f89e21a7f1d89d57&oe=58B153F7
  • westcoastscot
    Options
    Excellent posts, thank you. Very much echo my own thinking, in terms of how retirement may look for those of us still working, and for those already retired. I work in the third sector of health and social care, at the sharp end as it were, and conditions are indeed dire for many more of my clients that was previously the case. Our wee corner of Scotland is remote and rural, yet needs to save £millions over the coming three years, and we're already cut to the bone - it will have to be mainstream cuts there aren't any other.

Mar I agree that self-reliance is the way to go - and when we were island dwellers I felt I had a real handle on that, but as a rural mainland dweller of questionable health and advancing years it becomes more and more difficult to feel in control of my own future, and that of my family. I guess we can only do what we can do, and try and pass on any knowledge we have to younger generations in the hope that they remember us when the shtf :)

I'm going to appraise my wee world and see if there are areas I can be more prepared, and try and save a little towards a more comfortable retirement should my pension not be as much as I would hope when I get there. Also going to try and work at my health a little more to try and regain some energy and ability to do a little more again in terms of diy etc.

Thanks! I'm feeling more motivated again :) Am reminded of my dad's ethos - hope for the best and prep for the worst - WCS
  • mardatha
    Options
    WCS I think if we can learn- and it takes practice - how to live cheap and do without now, then when the S does H then it will be easier for us. I have a book called The Good Scots Diet - and it tells what we lived on 200 years ago. It's perfectly modern and do-able now. Porridge, broth (with everything in it that you can lay hands on), oatcakes and cheese. Add in a few modern refinements (PUDDING!!) like home made bread and jam, and it becomes perfect.
  • westcoastscot
    Options
    totally agree Mar - our diet has headed that way anyway, since we have very little access to out of season stuff, and what we have is very expensive - i've tended to avoid it. For me, it's going to be the little things that make the difference!
    Off to work now :-)
  • thriftwizard
    thriftwizard Posts: 4,675 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    *** BIRD FLU ALERT ***

For those of us who keep chickens - or indeed any other kind of bird outdoors - DEFRA have announced that we have to keep them indoors or under cover for at least 30 days. There's a new strain of bird 'flu doing the rounds in Europe; apparently it's not a threat to humans, but it is to poultry, especially very large flocks. Off to find some more tarpaulins to cover over my big run. The bantams (normally free-range) are not going to be amused...
    Angie - GC May 24 £232.52/£450: 2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 10/68: (Money's just a substitute for time & talent...)
  • dreaming
    dreaming Posts: 1,139 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I feel fortunate that I can manage to live fairly comfortably on my pensions, which are below the tax threshold of £10,600pa. I say "fortunate" although it does take some planning and effort but I have never been particularly extravagant, and I know there is still some leeway to make further savings if absolutely necessary. What worries me though is how life will be for those who have absolutely no leeway in their day to day life whatsoever. I don't know how many of you saw Slum Britain on Channel 5 last night but it was quite unsettling to say the least.
  • mardatha
    Options
    What was that about, what was in it dreaming?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure