Amex Credit Card Blagged Deal

Options
13»

Comments

• guesswho2000
    Options
    AllieKat wrote: »
    £50 in vouchers would be an absolutely terrible way to use 10,000 MR points. For comparison, I used mine for Delta SkyMiles.

A return ticket is about 60k SkyMiles to most US destinations. I can easily use this on a flight I'd pay £800 for (and often more, I'm taking a low estimate there). 800/60000 = 1.33 pence per point. Compared to the 0.5 pence per point in your example.

Seriously, never, ever use MR for cash, cash equivalent or goods redemptions. The value is awful compared to transfer partners!

Correct, unfortunately a lot of people struggle to understand the concept of airline loyalty programmes.

In actual fact, this Amex Rewards credit card isn't the best option for anyone looking to earn membership rewards points, the Preferred Rewards Gold charge card is much better. It's also free in year one, but you get 20k MR points instead, and can then simply cancel (or then get this credit card if you want to keep your MR account open long term, for free). You'd also get the other benefits of the PRG card in year one, too (such as the airport lounge passes).
  • Merryb
    Merryb Posts: 11 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi
    I have had Amex card for a couple of years now, but it really isn't accepted in lots of places. I'm not sure why it is plugged so much because I use a lot of what would be considered 'mainstream' shops but they won't accept Amex - because it charges the shops. I am back on here today because I need to get a credit card that will be accepted everywhere - so my advice is to stay away from Amex. - any advice on a good replacement reward card ?
  • AllieKat
    AllieKat Posts: 109 Forumite
    Options
    Not everywhere takes anything. Most shops take Amex (in the UK, some countries that isn't the case) and obviously you wouldn't want one as your only card. The rewards are excellent if used right and it has some unique services.

Amex is great but not a good only card. But no card is a good only card.
  • toph
    toph Posts: 79 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    edited 27 March 2018 at 9:07PM
    Options
    Some banks have reward programs with their premier accounts. I think HSBC have a comparable rewards program that you can spend points on flights etc. I think you need £50k with them or earn over £75k and have a mortgage or insurance product with them too.
    https://www.hsbc.co.uk/1/2/miles

Otherwise nationwide offer 0.5% back on their flex credit card.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure