PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one

Options

Comments

• caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,091 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Ames wrote: »
    I don't think I could even touch slugs and snails with gloves on. Last year there was a problem with my front door and I couldn't lock it from the inside so I was using the back door. One night there were loads of slugs on the back door and I couldn't bring myself to use it - I ended up leaving the front door unlocked overnight.
    Sprinkle them with salt - leave for a few minutes and brush up no need to touch them. If you're worried about them coming back a line of salt at the doorway should hopefully deter them.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I don't think I could even touch slugs and snails with gloves on. Last year there was a problem with my front door and I couldn't lock it from the inside so I was using the back door. One night there were loads of slugs on the back door and I couldn't bring myself to use it - I ended up leaving the front door unlocked overnight.

A cheap kids' beach plastic spade's a good flicker.... or poundland currently has some large spatulas they call pancake flippers ... you need something you can easily scoop them up with ... then walk to the bottom of the garden and lob as far away as possible without danger of ever touching them. Two are better as you've then got something to push them onto the first one with.

I've heard they drown in saucers of beer - but I had a mini pot in the garden, ex mini cheesecake I'd used to scoop fertiliser into a small pot ... and left in the garden as it might come in useful again - the rain filled it with water and I found a couple of dead slugs in that too, so it's not just beer, any puddle seems good enough.
  • karcher
    karcher Posts: 2,069 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I hate slugs and snails too...htf do people eat snails! :eek:

I've just been googling mushroom omelette recipes...found one on an Australian website and it listed all the nutritional info. It says it has 1005 kj energy in it. Didn't know what that was, so googled again..apparently it's 240 calories!!

Anyways, I was googling because whilst I'm not at all hungry after my blow out at lunchtime, I have some mushrooms that desperately need cooking and eggs and also a big bowl of mixed leaf green salad that I must eat tonight.

I know if i don't cook now, I won't bother later..so was contemplating cooking the omelette now then reheating it later when I do feel hungry? Not sure if that would work?
    'I'm sinking in the quicksand of my thought
    And I ain't got the power anymore'
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 10 March 2017 at 7:20PM
    Options
    Confesses to keeping in a packet of the cheapest salt I can get - slugs for the use of. I'd rather they didnt sort of blow up and explode rather the second I throw a heap of salt on them - but if it's them on the one hand or me and the food I'm growing on the other hand = salt it is then.

Grins at Pastures New - as it was another "new" food at dinner tonight. I was in CBA mode - so it was sourdough bread (I cheated and bought it:o), with creme fraiche made of oats (the "Oatly" brand one) and some tomatoes. Followed by a handful of cashew nuts, an apple and some more rice milk. That's my definition par excellance of CBA - it took only a few minutes to do it.

So - on the "10 a day" front - that equals the stewed rhubarb I had with morning porridge/the veggies in lunchtime sorta ratatouille and I had a bit of sauerkraut with it and an easypeeler orange afterwards/the tomatoes and an apple. Guess it probably comes to around 10...

Actually I've found that "my" sort of foods have become a lot easier to get over the last couple of years. Thank goodness they are becoming fashionable. Roll on even more of it becoming available...
  • caronc
    Options
    karcher wrote: »
    I hate slugs and snails too...htf do people eat snails! :eek:

I've just been googling mushroom omelette recipes...found one on an Australian website and it listed all the nutritional info. It says it has 1005 kj energy in it. Didn't know what that was, so googled again..apparently it's 240 calories!!

Anyways, I was googling because whilst I'm not at all hungry after my blow out at lunchtime, I have some mushrooms that desperately need cooking and eggs and also a big bowl of mixed leaf green salad that I must eat tonight.

I know if i don't cook now, I won't bother later..so was contemplating cooking the omelette now then reheating it later when I do feel hungry? Not sure if that would work?
    Could you not make a spanish type omelette - it's nice cold and would keep for a few days in the fridge:)
  • caronc
    Options

Actually I've found that "my" sort of foods have become a lot easier to get over the last couple of years. Thank goodness they are becoming fashionable. Roll on even more of it becoming available...

Yes in someways but round here in both supermarkets and independants it's very much traditional on the F&V front even things like chard which is pretty mainstream now and no local asian grocers etc. :(which tend to hold a more varied range of things. Chard is one of the things I make a point of growing every year as it's a great veg for picking just what you need ideal for solo cooks:)
  • karcher
    karcher Posts: 2,069 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    caronc wrote: »
    Could you not make a spanish type omelette - it's nice cold and would keep for a few days in the fridge:)

Trying to avoid the carbs after the OD at lunchtime, also no potatoes anyway.

Now thinking a crustless quiche with mushrooms which I can put the mixed leaf salad in as it is rocket, baby chard etc.. covers all bases :D
    'I'm sinking in the quicksand of my thought
    And I ain't got the power anymore'
  • caronc
    Options
    karcher wrote: »
    Trying to avoid the carbs after the OD at lunchtime, also no potatoes anyway.

Now thinking a crustless quiche with mushrooms which I can put the mixed leaf salad in as it is rocket, baby chard etc.. covers all bases :D
    That'll do nicely yum :)
  • Ames
    Ames Posts: 18,459 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for the tips re slugs, I'll try the line of salt next time they start to appear again.

I really, really fancied fish and chips tonight but I held out, YS fishcakes and veg is in the oven right now, and I've chopped a couple of plums to stew after.
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.
  • caronc
    Options
    Thanks for the tips re slugs, I'll try the line of salt next time they start to appear again.

I really, really fancied fish and chips tonight but I held out, YS fishcakes and veg is in the oven right now, and I've chopped a couple of plums to stew after.
    I'm going with the fish & chips option as both in the freezer so a quick dinner. Will probably have spinach and peas with it:)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure