Electric cost 1 bed flat - too high?

Options

Comments

• Carrot007
    Carrot007 Posts: 4,534 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Kezzabell2 wrote: »
    I have just spoken to Scottish Power, a strangely helpful man! he's going to call me back tomorrow once I've found the wattage for my radiators, but he said that the type he thinks they've installed are cheap to buy but not cheap to run! sounds very typical of the people that built the flats!

All electric heating costs the same to run (a lot). The only saving to be had is by having storage heaters and E7.

So he may have been helpful be he was badly informed.
  • Kezzabell2
    Options
    He did say if I had storage heaters, I would be on a different plan and would have a different meter.

I don't know if I'm on E7? would I have to ask for that? even after making a compliant in the summer? would they not have a duty to suggest that to me?
  • Kezzabell2
    Options
    actually looking at google, my radiators appear to be oil filled and according to the doc Scottish Power has sent me, it should be 1 unit per hour, where as storage heaters are 12-24 units for 7 hours :/
  • Carrot007
    Options
    He did say if I had storage heaters, I would be on a different plan and would have a different meter.

I don't know if I'm on E7? would I have to ask for that? even after making a compliant in the summer? would they not have a duty to suggest that to me?

The most obvious indicator apart from your bill would be having 2 reads. However without starage heaters you might not even break even compared to standard unrestricted depending on your niught usage.
  • Carrot007
    Options
    actually looking at google, my radiators appear to be oil filled and according to the doc Scottish Power has sent me, it should be 1 unit per hour, where as storage heaters are 12-24 units for 7 hours :/

Makes no different to the cost to heat. Oil filled just let heat out slower and thus for longer. A instant heat option e.g. covector. Would cost the same for the same amount of heat,. Just heat up quicker and stop heating when turned off almost immidiately.

Oil filled radiators can be any capacity. You need to find the wattage of the unit. Scottish powers documentation will be a lot of guesses as they can't cover every heating device out there.

Also if your device has a thermostat is may not be constantly in use at maximum power anyway.
  • cifpower
    cifpower Posts: 6,502 Forumite
    Options
    I live in an all-electric one bed flat with a E7 tariff fixed until January 2019. I always enter my meter reads once per month when I see the direct debit has registered.

During the summer I was using, on average, 5.7 units per day. My last bill (up to 1 December) had 21 units per day.

My annual usage is:

1464 day
    3012 night

My direct debit was recently lowered to £35pm
  • mollycoddle
    Options
    There must be something seriously wrong with my house then, as it only 2 bed small semi electric only and my DD IS £149 PER MONTH
  • Lube
    Lube Posts: 1,495 Forumite
    Options
    It aslo depends on whether your covering a debt with that £149 per month if not than £1788 per annum is a lot but you cant always go on how much you pay its how much you consume
    There must be something seriously wrong with my house then, as it only 2 bed small semi electric only and my DD IS £149 PER MONTH
  • mollycoddle
    Options
    Lube wrote: »
    It aslo depends on whether your covering a debt with that £149 per month if not than £1788 per annum is a lot but you cant always go on how much you pay its how much you consume
    no no debt so that really makes me wonder whats going on in my house , i think i am being robbed by next door :rotfl:
  • Norman_Castle
    Norman_Castle Posts: 11,871 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Carrot007 wrote: »
    As pointed out it's a tank fed shower not an electric one so no savings vs using bath.
    There would be a saving if the shower used less heated water than the bath.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure