Very high gas usage increase - help!

Options
meclive
meclive Posts: 482 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 24 March 2017 at 1:34AM in Energy
Hi, my gas usage has increased massively the past year (about the time a new gas main was installed and new pipe was run to the meter).

Gas usage
2015: 13979 kWh
2016: 25233 kWh

Can you tell me how I would work out if my meter is reading ok and how to work out how much my boiler is using? I just don't understand it because everything has remained the same (boiler, gas cooker), the central heating comes on for a few hours in the morning and evening - most of the time the house is cold but I dare not put the heating on!

I've no idea not if the meter is running fast or wrong but I just really want to know how to work it all out so that I can keep on top of it.

It's a three bed semi-detatched house with just me in! Any ideas??

Comments

• footyguy
    footyguy Posts: 4,157 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    meclive wrote: »
    Hi, my gas usage has increased massively the past year (about the time a new gas main was installed and new pipe was run to the meter).

Gas usage
    2015: 13979 kWh
    2016: 25233 kWh

Can you tell me how I would work out if my meter is reading ok and how to work out how much my boiler is using? I just don't understand it because everything has remained the same (boiler, gas cooker), the central heating comes on for a few hours in the morning and evening - most of the time the house is cold but I dare not put the heating on!

I've no idea not if the meter is running fast or wrong but I just really want to know how to work it all out so that I can keep on top of it.

It's a three bed semi-detatched house with just me in! Any ideas??

Contact your gas supplier who can arrange to have the accuracy of the meter checked for you.

They may ask for a fee, but that will be refunded if the meter is proven to be inaccurate.
  • CashStrapped
    CashStrapped Posts: 1,294 Forumite
    Options
    How did you come to those two figures?

Are they figures calculated by you? Are they predictions/calculations made by the energy company?

Have you made calculations manually yourself using two confrimed meter readings (not estimates) one year apart?

Was the meter changed when the new gas main was installed.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    It is human nature to link one thing to another without any proof that they are actually linked. When you access the gas meter box, can you smell gas? If not, then you need to turn everything off and this includes the pilot light on your boiler (if you have a gas boiler) and on any gas fires. Does your meter stop turning? Leave everything off for an hour and see if the meter reading has changed. Remember, any leak will have to be on your side of the meter for usage to be recorded.

If you cannot smell gas - and I suspect that you won't as you would have noticed it before - then follow Cashstrapped's advice. It is also worth checking that your supplier has used the correct volume to kWh conversion. This is usually shown on your bill. Metric meters normally have 5 digits to the left of the decimal point.
  • meclive
    Options

Are they figures calculated by you? Are they predictions/calculations made by the energy company?

Have you made calculations manually yourself using two confrimed meter readings (not estimates) one year apart?

I'll try answer as best I can...

They are via the British Gas app - I've checked against my quarterly bills and usage seems to match them.

They are from past readings provided by me.

Have you made calculations manually yourself using two confirmed meter readings (not estimates) one year apart?
    I am just going off the kWh usage provided to me via British Gas at this stage.

I don't think it was. The new gas main was installed and new piping laid up to the house and meter.
  • meclive
    Options
    Hengus wrote: »
    It is human nature to link one thing to another without any proof that they are actually linked. When you access the gas meter box, can you smell gas? If not, then you need to turn everything off and this includes the pilot light on your boiler (if you have a gas boiler) and on any gas fires. Does your meter stop turning? Leave everything off for an hour and see if the meter reading has changed. Remember, any leak will have to be on your side of the meter for usage to be recorded.

If you cannot smell gas - and I suspect that you won't as you would have noticed it before - then follow Cashstrapped's advice. It is also worth checking that your supplier has used the correct volume to kWh conversion. This is usually shown on your bill. Metric meters normally have 5 digits to the left of the decimal point.

I can't smell any gas. I'll try turning everything off for an hour and see if the meter registers anything, will let you know...

I do have a metric meter. For info I have a gas boiler, gas cooker/hob, and a gas fire (but this is never used).

Thanks
  • Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,106 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    What's your meter reading this morning ?
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,609 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    How often do you send in meter readings, do you keep your own records. It's very difficult to try and second gues what you did a year or so ago to compare with whats going on now.

A monthy record of your readings would give you a much more meangfull profile of your consumption rather than just trying to compare a year or so ago with this year.

Are you certain that the 2015 figure are accurate, likewise the 2016 figures. The more often that you read your meter (within reason) will allow you to monitor your consumption and identify if something is going awry.

Waiting for a bill once a quarter meand that you could end up with an unidentified problem thats been ongoing for a long time.

We had a situation where I read my water meter monthly. One month our consumption had suddenly jumped by 35cu.m. This was due to a leak in the underground pipe. Had I left it until the next official reading and bill I suspect that the drive would have been washed away together with some of the house foundations.

So it pays to keep an eye on your meters and keep your own records rather than relying or hoping that the suppliers is doing it for you.
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • Robin9
    Options
    Well OP how have you got on with your gas tests ?

or have you found errors in your meter readings ?
  • Robin9
    Options
    OP can you update us please ?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing