Add your feedback on energy supplier SSE

Former_MSE_Samantha
Former_MSE_Samantha Posts: 24 Forumite
edited 4 July 2017 at 2:03PM in Energy
This is a feedback thread on energy supplier
SSE (which includes Atlantic, Scottish Hydro, Southern Electric and Swalec)

Please share your experience with other MoneySavers. Click reply to take part
  • Did your switch go smoothly?
  • Have you had problems since?
  • Is it easy to contact?
The feedback comes as part of the
Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.
Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, watch our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Comments

• Was about to switch when I read the Southern Electric T&C's. It seems to say that you have to pay £50 exit fee regardless of when you leave, whereas on the Cheap Energy Club it says you only pay if you leave before April 2014. Can anyone clarify? Thanks. :undecided
  • Was about to switch when I read the Southern Electric T&C's. It seems to say that you have to pay £50 exit fee regardless of when you leave, whereas on the Cheap Energy Club it says you only pay if you leave before April 2014. Can anyone clarify? Thanks. :undecided

Same question - it's not really clear!
  • Wywth
    Wywth Posts: 5,079 Forumite
    edited 5 February 2013 at 6:09PM
    Which tariff are you two looking at? :huh:

e.g. on the SSE website for Discounted Energy April 2015 tariff it says:
    Energy prices are constantly changing but our cheapest tariff, Discounted Energy April 2015, guarantees you a 2% discount off our standard energy rates until 2015 – regardless of whether prices go up or down during that period. What's more, you could save up to £92 a year when you pay by monthly Direct Debit and choose paperless billing*. Should you decide to leave us before 1 April 2014, a £50 termination fee would apply.
    http://www.southern-electric.co.uk/GasAndElectricity/DiscountedEnergyApril2015/

Btw, none of this is really appropriate to the purpose of this thread is it?
    I would suggest you start a new thread if you are having issues understanding a particular tariff's terms.
  • Brilliant:j! Pleased to say I have decided to switch! Thanks a lot.
  • 50Twuncle
    50Twuncle Posts: 10,763 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    How do these compare to Scottish Power for customer service ?
    ie Do they have real people or automated replies for emails ?

This is a special price that finishes Oct 2014 so you can change after that with no exit fee. Southern Electric are a good company and have a customer service that puts the others to shame. If you have questions call them.
  • Can anyone tell me why they don't quote Southern Electric with paperless billing AND without. There is a £12 a year saving for paperless, which makes them cheaper than all the others, for my usage at least.
  • luvchocolate
    luvchocolate Posts: 3,254 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Their customer service is the best I have ever known.....so very helpful
  • ro888
    ro888 Posts: 46 Forumite
    Strange, did they not offer online account management?

It says no on MSE comparison?
  • SidP
    SidP Posts: 65 Forumite
    edited 3 October 2013 at 7:34PM
    A few things regarding Scottish Hydro Electric (SHE)'s 1yr Fixed Price Plan:

1) The Cheap Energy Club offers £15 cash back for each fuel switched through the Club to this tariff. However, the tariff itself offers a £50 account credit for each fuel switched which the CEC webpage doesn't mention at all. There's also no clear indication that the former invalidates the latter. An email has been sent to Scottish Hydro for clarification.
    EDIT: The Ts & Cs for the cashback for the Cheap Energy Club state clearly that:
    This offer is provided by Moneysupermarket.com Limited (“Moneysupermarket.com”) registered in England No. 3945937.
    The adviser from Scottish Hydro Electric has responded that:
    I can confirm that we will offer the £100 to any new customer who signs up for the " 1 Year Fixed Price" regardless of any outside offers made from comparison companies.

2) Which?'s switching tool indicates in its terms and conditions summary for this tariff that those initiating a switch in the last 49 days of the Plan will not be charged a cancellation fee. This has been confirmed by SHE to be wrong. Customers will be charged for leaving at any time before the end of the Plan.
    Additionally, "leaving" applies to beginning the process of making the switch to a new tariff or company, and not the date on which the new tariff or company assumes control of billing.

EDIT: 3) MSE's Cheap Energy Club indicates this tariff doesn't offer online account management. I'm 99% sure that, during my recent call to SHE, the adviser confirmed that online account management is available. As a result, a discount for paperless billing is also available that reduces the Standing Charge slightly for both fuels.
    EDIT: Scottish Hydro definitely offer online account management:
    http://www.hydro.co.uk/BenefitsOfAnOnlineAccount/

I may take (2) up with OfGem, as this seems an unreasonable interpretation of the term, "leaving", considering the length of time it takes to switch to a new company (4-6 weeks).

I have to say I'm disappointed with the initial presentation of the Cheap Energy Club. Unless things improve, the inaccuracies could cause it to be a major liability, and not a benefit at all.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback