What detail is included in Banns of marriage

Options
Hi, having a problem with my ex and just wondered if anyone knew exactly what details are included in banns of marriage as I am getting remarried shortly and am worried that he might find out the location and turn up.

Comments

• Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 23 March 2017 at 9:17PM
    Options
    Normally just the bride and groom's names and which parish(s) they hail from.

The banns would be read in the the home parish(s) of the bride and groom and the parish in which they are getting married, if different.

Ours were read in three places.

ETA Thinking about it, if anyone heard the banns and had a valid reason why the couple should not wed, I suspect that they would be within their rights to ask the minister where and when the marriage was taking place.

They would have to be in the right church at the right time to hear though, which might be a feat in itself considering that the banns only have to be read three times in the three months preceding the ceremony.
  • balletshoes
    balletshoes Posts: 16,610 Forumite
    Options
    is this for the notice for the Registrar? I've got this from the CAB -

"In England and Wales, 28 days notice must be given to the Register Office before the marriage can take place. Both partners must be resident for seven days in England or Wales before notice is given. A notice must state where the marriage is to take place. There is a fee for giving notice."
  • TonyMMM
    TonyMMM Posts: 3,382 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Are you actually talking about banns (for a CofE church marriage ?) or giving notice to marry for a civil (or other denomination) wedding.

A notice will give the name, age , address of each party and the date/time place of the marriage.
  • Flugelhorn
    Flugelhorn Posts: 5,584 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If Banns (ie CoE wedding in church) then there is no detail of addresses or dates of wedding.

Ours were "banns of the marriage of ABC, spinster of the parish of DEF to GHI bachelor of the parish of KLM, this is for the (1st,2nd,3rd) of asking - if anyone knows .... etc"

Different if it is notice to a registrar
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,592 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I don't know the details (others may have experience) but it might be possible to get married by licence so that you wouldn't need banns.

That being said there are so many other ways your ex could find out like from friends and family that perhaps just brazening it out is the best way.
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,906 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Soupdragon, rather than worry about the banns, just check your team include a couple of souls whose job it is (& whose gift to you is) to intercept, accompany & endeavour to assure the graceful conduct of said chap if he shows up.

Noone wants a punchup before the vows are said, though I believe some weddings are thought to be lacking in entertainment without one. Me, I'd settle for having watchers in place & focus on enjoying the crazy hurtle that is your wedding day. If they get it right, even if he does show up, odds on you'll be so busy you may well not realise.

All the very best with the planning for the day and for the long & happily married life thereafter!
  • Flugelhorn
    Flugelhorn Posts: 5,584 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I was churchwarden & bellringer at a wedding where there was likely to be an "issue with the ex". We had to legally have the doors unlocked until after the vows were taken as that has to be in public but could have locked them after. The idea was that we would take the ex (female) for a walk round the churchyard if she turned up - she didn't and everything was fine.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure