PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

If a surveyor finds a fault do you have to tell all future buyers?

Options
Imagine that you're selling your home and the first buyer pulls out because their surveyor finds a problem. It could be damp, a dodgy wall, anything like that which you weren't aware of as the owner. Do you have to tell all future prospective buyers that this problem has been found?

This is just a question I'm wondering about, I'm not in this situation.

Comments

• pinkshoes
    pinkshoes Posts: 20,090 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I would, and if it was something I wasn't aware of, I would either sort it out or reduce the price to reflect this.

Otherwise I guess you are just hoping for a buyer who does not pay for a survey?? Seems a bit pointless not disclosing it.
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
  • deFoix
    deFoix Posts: 213 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I don't believe these is any legal requirement to act in good faith as long and you don't mislead?
  • Chanes
    Chanes Posts: 882 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Yes. Others will have surveys and know you hid problems from them when they know there were other buyers; form your own opinion of how they will consider you.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 17 October 2016 at 8:53PM
    Options
    There are various aspects to this:

* it was not your surveyor so he did not inform you of the problem. Most likely you heard it 4th hand: surveyor to buyer to EA to you

* you do (I think) have a duty to inform a buyer of anything that might affect their decision of which you are aware

* many surveys include speculative or unconfirmed suspicions (damp that needs 'further investigation' etc) which cause FTBs in particular to panic and withdraw - even if the problem in reality does not exist

Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations 2008

http://lawspark.org.uk/property-law/what-must-sellers-disclose-when-selling-their-property/
  • deFoix
    deFoix Posts: 213 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    G_M wrote: »

* you do have a duty to inform a buyer of anything that might affect their decision of which you are aware

I'm not sure that's right. Depends on the sale agreement but I thought it was only a subset of defects?
  • kilby_007
    kilby_007 Posts: 738 Forumite
    Options
    Legally, probably not. Morally, without doubt yes.
  • debtnav
    debtnav Posts: 19 Forumite
    Options
    I agree that morally it's the right thing to do. If I suspected that a vendor hadn't been totally up front I'd look for another property.
    :coffee: Your company gets me through the day. x
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Boler1985 wrote: »
    I'm not sure that's right. Depends on the sale agreement but I thought it was only a subset of defects?
    Yeah I'm not sure either now.

though I think it's true of EAs.

Think I'll stop trying to talk about something I'm unsure of!
  • Grenage
    Grenage Posts: 2,899 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I'm not aware of a requirement, but when selling my last place, the paperwork asked if I was aware of any defects such as damp, movement, etc.

Obviously if you lie, and they can prove it, you might have a problem.

Obviously you should be up front about major defects; things like a window that won't open, or an ill-fitting carpet aren't really of concern.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure