PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Faults with house,buyer's sols. denying liability

Options
2»

Comments

• bikerqueen
    bikerqueen Posts: 427 Forumite
    Options
    I'm really confused, surely the seller presents the house, and it's up to you and your surveyor to spot these problems BEFORE purchase? If they wont budge on price and that's a deal breaker for you, you then dont buy the house?

I'll be !!!!!!ed if i sell this place then someone rings me after the sale and tells me they want something sorting.
  • rgvkid
    rgvkid Posts: 45 Forumite
    Options
    in scotland there is a 5-day period from entry date to bring up faults:electrical,plumbing etc.,which the buyer is responsible for.it should all be in good,safe,working condition.
    also in that 5 days if a tap starts squirting water etc.,you can get emergency repairs and they have to cover the costs.
    long as the faults are reported within the 5 days,you have a claim.
    as you can see,tjhe faults arent overly serious,but will cost money to fix,which in theory i shouldnt have to pay.
  • mountainofdebt
    mountainofdebt Posts: 7,795 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    spend more in solicitors fees in trying to get the money back?
    2014 Target;
    To overpay CC by £1,000.
    Overpayment to date : £310

2nd Purse Challenge:
    £15.88 saved to date
  • rgvkid
    rgvkid Posts: 45 Forumite
    Options
    yep probably,the money involved isnt huge but in theory i shouldnt be shelling out for it,made it back from work too late today to ring as the seller has a young kid,but will phone tomorrow and see what she says.
    thanks for all input
  • Rimo2021
    Rimo2021 Posts: 166 Forumite
    Options
    silvercar wrote:
    Unless the rules are very different in Scotland, I would have thought the house is bought as seen. Its up to you and your surveyor to find faults and agree a price based on that. If its not a new build, houses generally have some faults. If the seller has not said everything is in perfect order I can't see why you would have grounds for complaint.

I don't think it is different . In my limited experience ( 3 purchases) it's only things like cookers / electric/gas fires etc that are covered and must be in working order for the 5 or 7 days specified. eg the central heating should be in working order but not necessarily in perfect condition, so a minor leak in a radiator which does not stop the system heating up will not be covered, only for example if the boiler busts when you turn it on..
  • irnbru_2
    irnbru_2 Posts: 1,603 Forumite
    Options
    Two points:

1. How long are you prepared to wait for them to pay for repairs?

Get three quotes and get it repaired, as you are the one who has to live with it. Pursue them for costs if you must.

2. Mark any mail return to sender - you're not the Post Office. Vendor should have set up redirection.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure