Diesel cars & tax

Options
We've been looking at diesel cars as a replacement for my wife's car which is going to be going one way or another.

I know that the cars i'm looking at the tax on the diesels are cheaper than on their petrol equivalents.

However i was talking about this in just general chit-chat with someone at work & they said to be careful as they're changing the tax on diesel cars apparently & it's going to increase.

If it makes a difference then we'll be looking at a diesel car made 2000-2004, so not particularly new.

Is what my workmate said correct, if so then what's the change? Or is it only for new diesels?

Comments

• TadleyBaggie
    TadleyBaggie Posts: 6,055 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    He is probably thinking about the new VED regime that starts in 1st April 2017: https://www.gov.uk/government/news/new-vehicle-tax-rates-from-1-april-2017, however this is only for vehicles registered from that date and is not retrospective.
  • JustAnotherSaver
    Options
    He is probably thinking about the new VED regime that starts in 1st April 2017: https://www.gov.uk/government/news/new-vehicle-tax-rates-from-1-april-2017, however this is only for vehicles registered from that date and is not retrospective.
    Ahh yes it will be since he mentioned April of this year.

Thanks.
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,832 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    An older diesel may be subject to charges to enter cities like London though, depending on model

Do remember as well diesels are best where there are regular long runs, if the car is doing 5000 miles a year say, petrol would be better
  • JustAnotherSaver
    Options
    Nasqueron wrote: »
    An older diesel may be subject to charges to enter cities like London though, depending on model

Do remember as well diesels are best where there are regular long runs, if the car is doing 5000 miles a year say, petrol would be better

Thanks.

I owned a few diesels before actually on my 6k per year & they did me very well actually. Better than any petrols ive had to be honest since they were cheaper.

:)
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,865 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks.

I owned a few diesels before actually on my 6k per year & they did me very well actually. Better than any petrols ive had to be honest since they were cheaper.

:)
    That was old school diesels. Newer ones with DPFs etc need regular long runs.
  • JustAnotherSaver
    Options
    molerat wrote: »
    That was old school diesels. Newer ones with DPFs etc need regular long runs.

True.

That's why i'm looking at diesel's that don't have DPFs :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure