Argos Laptop Return

Options
I wish i had read this forum before i bought this but here goes for a bit of advice.

I bought a small laptop yesterday - tablet /laptop 2 in 1 thing.
Yes it was an impulse buy but once i got it home , set it up etc , i have realised it is very slow and not fit for my purpose. Though im not saying its a fault its just not what i expected.

I ordered online , paid with my credit card online but went to store to pick up.

I have spoke to Argos customer helpline who are saying they wont accept a return / refund as its not covered unless they deliver.

As i said im not going to lie and say its faulty , yes i have changed my mind ....do i have any rights?? or take it on the chin?

What ever happens i wont be using argos again as their 30 day return statement is very vague and misleading

Comments

• Oakdene
    Oakdene Posts: 2,560 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    wigannwuk wrote: »
    What ever happens i wont be using argos again as their 30 day return statement is very vague and misleading

Its not really vague...
    Argos wrote:
    Absolutely! We offer a 30 day returns guarantee on most items. (We’re nice like that.)
    So if you need to bring it back, just bring it back. Then we’ll either refund the cash onto the original payment method or offer you an exchange. Easy.
    You just need these 2 things:
    1. your proof of purchase
    2. the item should be unused, in its original packaging and in a re-sellable condition
    3. er... there is no 3
    PS There are a few things we can’t do returns for, such as food and some jewellery (see FAQ below) unless of course they’re faulty. Naturally, none of this affects your consumer rights.

Your item is used...
    Dwy galon, un dyhead,
    Dwy dafod ond un iaith,
    Dwy raff yn cydio’n ddolen,
    Dau enaid ond un taith.
  • wigannwuk
    wigannwuk Posts: 172 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Oakdene wrote: »
    Its not really vague...

Your item is used...

i know its used i spoke to them , im just asking if somebody knows if distance selling rules applies?
  • Leo2020
    Leo2020 Posts: 910 Forumite
    Options
    Distance Selling Regulations have been replaced. Consumer Contracts Regulations is the one your looking for.

As you paid online then it is a distance sale even though you collected it from store.
  • wigannwuk
    Options
    Leo2020 wrote: »
    Distance Selling Regulations have been replaced. Consumer Contracts Regulations is the one your looking for.

As you paid online then it is a distance sale even though you collected it from store.

Thanks Leo

So how do i get them to accept the return?
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Leo2020 wrote: »

I'm minded to agree with that ... if you ordered online and paid online then it was a distance contract. (The fact you collected in store is irrelevant - that was merely the "delivery" mechanism). As such the cancellation rights per CCR 2013 apply.

The potential sticking point is the fact you set it up ... the regs allow you to check a product to satisfy yourself that it meets your requirements as you would if you were in a shop. You wouldn't normally set up a laptop in a shop.
  • wigannwuk
    Options
    DoaM wrote: »
    I'm minded to agree with that ... if you ordered online and paid online then it was a distance contract. (The fact you collected in store is irrelevant - that was merely the "delivery" mechanism). As such the cancellation rights per CCR 2013 apply.

The potential sticking point is the fact you set it up ... the regs allow you to check a product to satisfy yourself that it meets your requirements as you would if you were in a shop. You wouldn't normally set up a laptop in a shop.

Thanks Doam

To be fair you cant use a laptop without setting it up to an extent , but i have now reset it.
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 12 July 2017 at 12:36PM
    Options
    wigannwuk wrote: »
    i know its used i spoke to them , im just asking if somebody knows if distance selling rules applies?
    Distance selling rules do apply.
    If you had ordered online and paid when you collected the goods, then distance selling rules would not apply.

The distance selling rules, now included in The Consumer Contracts (Information, Cancellation and Additional Charges) Regulations 2013,
    tell us that you can cancel your order up to fourteen days following delivery.

My understanding is that the seller cannot refuse that cancellation, but they can reduce the refund if your "handling is beyond what is necessary to establish the nature, characteristics and functioning of the goods if, in particular, it goes beyond the sort of handling that might reasonably be allowed in a shop."

That's from Regulation 34 of the above-mentioned Regulations.
  • angryparcel
    angryparcel Posts: 926 Forumite
    Options
    wealdroam wrote: »

The distance selling rules, now included in The Consumer Contracts (Information, Cancellation and Additional Charges) Regulations 2013,
    WRONG. Distance Selling Rules/Regulations no longer exist as these were replaced by The Consumer Contracts (Information, Cancellation and Additional Charges) Regulations 2013 as of 13 June 2014
  • wigannwuk
    Options
    WRONG. Distance Selling Rules/Regulations no longer exist as these were replaced by The Consumer Contracts (Information, Cancellation and Additional Charges) Regulations 2013 as of 13 June 2014

so what can i do?
  • IAmWales
    IAmWales Posts: 2,024 Forumite
    Options

Please reread what wealdroam wrote. You have stated the same thing that they did!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure