Bike stolen - paid on credit card...

Options
My bike was stolen today, have reported it to the Met Police but I'm not confident anything will come of it.

Bike was locked up outside Greenwich Uni, I paid cash from my account to the CC to boost my limit then paid the bike company direct from my CC for the bike less than 90 days ago.

How do I go about claiming the money back, if at all possible?

Sam

Comments

• john1002
    john1002 Posts: 984 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The simple answer is you can't, only way you can claim money back is if you have insurance on the bike and the terms of that insurance allow you to claim, otherwise your card company has no liability whats so ever.

John
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,865 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Several CCs used to have "insurance cover" against loss or damage but most, if not all, ditched that a few years back so you need to claim on your home or bike insurance.
  • Anthorn
    Anthorn Posts: 4,362 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 17 October 2016 at 10:11PM
    Options
    Check out the credit card T&Cs to see if you have purchase protection which lasts for up to 90 days. If it's stolen within 90 days you should get your money back from the CC company. American Express credit cards have it and it's probably worth the extra APR they charge just for that.
    http://www.moneysupermarket.com/credit-cards/guide-to-credit-card-protection/

Also check out https://www.bikeregister.com/ and security mark your next bike or look out for occasional free security marking events from your local Police.
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,552 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Undated article, i wonder how old it is?
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,865 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I remember getting letters from my cards a few years ago ending the protection.
  • samfuller1
    Options
    I have sent an e-mail to Barclaycard. Purchase was on 26/8. Fingers crossed.

I do not have bike insurance though I seem to recall the lock that failed had some kind of guarantee with it so will investigate that too.

Thanks for speedy responses.
  • Anthorn
    Anthorn Posts: 4,362 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    samfuller1 wrote: »
    I have sent an e-mail to Barclaycard. Purchase was on 26/8. Fingers crossed.

I do not have bike insurance though I seem to recall the lock that failed had some kind of guarantee with it so will investigate that too.

Thanks for speedy responses.

Bike locks are mostly rated with a Sold Secure certificate which relates how long it takes to break into the lock, Gold taking longer than Bronze. At least that's what insurance companies quote. If you used a Sold Secure certified lock you may have insurance if the bike gets stolen. You need to prove it with the original purchase receipt. Could be you need to register the bike with the lock manufacturer in the first place.
  • samfuller1
    Options
    I had to register within thirty days of purchase to be eligible if the lock was broken :(
  • samfuller1
    Options
    Looks like I'm left relying on the Met Police... Thanks all
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,287 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    samfuller1 wrote: »
    Looks like I'm left relying on the Met Police... Thanks all

If your lock failed then chase up the guarantee that came with it... and did you use your card to pay for the lock?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure