Need not Want.

Options

Comments

• Sazdaz
    Sazdaz Posts: 241 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Well due to the snow today and where I live its too dangerous to drive, I am going to walk the dogs and then come home and work my way through the ironing and washing pile. As I iron I am going to ask my self several questions,1. Does it fit me still?, 2. Do I actually wear it, 3. Do I need it if I have several similar items and then if answer no to one of the questions in the bag it goes. I am then going to sort it into ebay and boot fair piles, borrow a camera and ebay what I dont want. Then what I get from selling my clothes i am going to put in a seperate purse to buy any items of clothes that I need not want.

Going to do a meal planner and inventory of freezer today. Might also attempt to make some bread if can find a good receipe.

Then its log fire on, and cosy up with my book.
    APR NSD - 0/10
    Paid off in 2013 so far £125.00
    April Money made - £18.00
  • Katzen
    Katzen Posts: 535 Forumite
    Uniform Washer
    Options
    Hello all!
    I'm so in need of this thread. DH and I are saving for a deposit and realised we can save a lot each month, which begs the question 'where's it all been going all this time?' Answer: wants not needs!
    Just did a shop and decided I only needed some fresh stuff to last til end of month pay day. In a comedy moment, I decided to pay at self-checkout using my penny jar. Turns out you have to feed the machine slowly. Took nearly 5mins but worth it for the £12+ that was in it. Don't think the queue behind were best pleased tho:rotfl:
    Mortgage Outstanding Nov '16 £142,772.75
    Mortgage Additional OPs 2017 Target £4522.80/ Actual £865.00
    GC Feb 0/£200
  • elly68
    elly68 Posts: 2,531 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    love it u should have just turned round and said im on a mission from mse to use up all the money lying round the house how much have you got lying about doing nothing ,or do you want a big issue then they would have felt sorry for you and might have given you some extra .
    i listed my first item on ebay whoohoo away to photograph more
    So finally debt free and it feels amazing however continuing here to stay debt free.Next declutter house and body and finally swim under that waterfall x
  • 365days
    365days Posts: 1,347 Forumite
    Options
    Mini Cooper- Congratulations on being Debtfree. Must be an amazing feeling.

I'm doing the ebay thing too. I think it's a good lesson to learn that all those things you bought raise so little in comparison. Never thought books sold well on there but have sold a few last couple of days.

Been doing well, not buying anything we don't need, but really need to get the food thing back under control.

Hopefully my life will be straightforward from this week onwards and can crack on with the debt busting.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • MummyRivett
    Options
    FireWyrm wrote: »
    After a small tussle with myself over needs versus wants. I have put the Ipad on Ebay.

Rather serves me right since I bought two in the first place on a credit card intending to sell them and ended up keeping one instead.

The kids are 6 and 8. They have been allowed to use it under supervision, but I never truly had any intention of letting them keep it.

Good luck, let us know what you get for it
    • MSE Forum Achievements:
    • Debt-free & Proud - December 2014
    • Fully Funded 12 Month Emergency Fund - December 2020
    • Current Challenges: No Spend Challenge 2023
    • January NSD: 16/25
  • Pippin12
    Pippin12 Posts: 525 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi all - I've read the whole of this thread and hope I can join the club! I am well impressed by the progress you guys are making. I definitely need to focus on needs not wants - my spending has got out of control lately. I've been buying bargains in the sale - but they're not actually 'bargains' if you don't need them are they!
  • beth3735
    beth3735 Posts: 499 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Im gutted, Been doing pretty well recently with buying only what I need rather than Want. But today drove over a glass someone had put in my parking space right by the snow/ice so it was impossible to see. Shattered the lot and reckon all 4 tyres went over it :(

Will see in the morning now whether i NEED 4 car tyres! How is it ever possible to save when things like this happen!

Must of been some drunk as most cars along the street had their back windscreen wiper pulled out!
  • kerri_gt
    kerri_gt Posts: 11,202 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Xmas Saver!
    Options
    beth3735 wrote: »
    Im gutted, Been doing pretty well recently with buying only what I need rather than Want. But today drove over a glass someone had put in my parking space right by the snow/ice so it was impossible to see. Shattered the lot and reckon all 4 tyres went over it :(

Will see in the morning now whether i NEED 4 car tyres! How is it ever possible to save when things like this happen!

Must of been some drunk as most cars along the street had their back windscreen wiper pulled out!

:mad::mad::mad: on your behalf, some people are just plain stupid (they don't even warrant being called thoughtless as that would imply they had a brain in the first place). Tyres are more robust than we sometimes give them credit for so I hope they just squashed the glass and it didn't do them any actual damage. xx
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• FireWyrm
    FireWyrm Posts: 6,557 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    kerri_gt wrote: »
    :mad::mad::mad: on your behalf, some people are just plain stupid (they don't even warrant being called thoughtless as that would imply they had a brain in the first place). Tyres are more robust than we sometimes give them credit for so I hope they just squashed the glass and it didn't do them any actual damage. xx

You'd be surprised how robust tyres are. Chances are, there's no damage. Its not like standing on a glass with your bare feet. If your tyres are legal, the valleys are probably deeper than a shard of glass could penetrate unless you are dead unlucky. I've ridden over glass on a pushbike with no damage.
    Debt Free! Long road, but we did it
    Meet my best friend : YNAB (you need a budget)
    My other best friend is a filofax.
    Do or do not, there is no try....Yoda.

[/COLOR]
  • Katzen
    Katzen Posts: 535 Forumite
    Uniform Washer
    Options
    Morning all!
    just got an email advertising the amaz0n January sale. Posting on here to remind myself I do not need dvds!
    Snow day today, plan is to get myself a 'to sell' box and maybe even list some of it today.
    fingers crossed for your tyres beth
    Mortgage Outstanding Nov '16 £142,772.75
    Mortgage Additional OPs 2017 Target £4522.80/ Actual £865.00
    GC Feb 0/£200
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business