PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

unknown leak from shower cubicle

Options
The flat below me reported a leak on their ceiling which they thought was coming from our flat. We said we would investigate, we found that the shower cubicle support in the corner had not been fitted correctly and was probably leaking over the seven years that we have been living here. We took photos and immediately put right the leak in our flat by securing the cubicle again with its supports and resealing all the shower tiles and silicon. In the meantime the tenant below reported it to the estate agent and they immediately repaired the water damage to the extractor fan and said that the bathroom ceiling needed to be resealed and repainted. Now they are asking for us to pay the money. I am refusing as I have not received any photographic evidence of damage no quotes from contractors and they just went and repaired anyway. Now the Owners of the flat are ringing me daily and have left at my door the invoice for the repair asking that I need to pay the bill. They are also threatening me with legal representation. Where do I stand, am I legally bound to pay for this cost even though I was totally unaware of the leak and that in the first instance it was clearly a fault from the builder that was not installed correctly in the first place. I have taken photos and as yet have not gotten into any conversations with the owners or the flat tenants below.
Please help

Comments

• G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    1) you are not liable. You would only be liable if you had been negligent eg if they reported the problem to you and you ignored it, thus causing increased damage.

2) they should be claiming on insurance. Most flats have a block buildings policy arranged by the freeholder/management company, and paid for by all the leaseholders via the annual service charge. Check this is the case with your building, then refer the flat owner to the insurance policy.

Do NOT admit liability.

Do NOT ask for quotes from contractors (which would be implicit admission of liability).

Do NOT agree anything.

Perhaps a short simple letter thanking them for bringing the problem to your attention and advising them you have immediately and promptly rectified the problem. (then refer to the insurance)
  • MisterB1959
    MisterB1959 Posts: 158 Forumite
    Options
    G_M wrote: »
    1) you are not liable. You would only be liable if you had been negligent eg if they reported the problem to you and you ignored it, thus causing increased damage. not true, doesn't matter if you knew or didn't know, if you caused the damage then you need to rectify the problem

2) they should be claiming on insurance. Most flats have a block buildings policy arranged by the freeholder/management company, and paid for by all the leaseholders via the annual service charge. Check this is the case with your building, then refer the flat owner to the insurance policy. they don't have to claim on their insurance, youre at fault, albeit accidently and unknowingly

Do NOT admit liability. this sort of thing makes me angry, its your fault ! accept reponsibility

Do NOT ask for quotes from contractors (which would be implicit admission of liability).

Do NOT agree anything.

Perhaps a short simple letter thanking them for bringing the problem to your attention and advising them you have immediately and promptly rectified the problem - which would be an admission of liability wouldn't it?. (then refer to the insurance)

I thought this was a money saving forum not a scam, how to get away without paying for something you have done or caused forum?

my only concern would be how much the work cost, and why you weren't given the opportunity to get your own quote. if its reasonable pay it or if not, a proportion of it, or pass to YOUR own insurance, quite often they only need one quote anyway if its below a certain amount.
  • DaftyDuck
    DaftyDuck Posts: 4,609 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    G_M is correct on all points in his post. I'd follow his advice. This is an insurance matter, not an emotional one, and certainly not a "scam".
  • Ms-Money-Penny
    Ms-Money-Penny Posts: 1,604 Forumite
    Options
    DaftyDuck wrote: »
    G_M is correct on all points in his post. I'd follow his advice. This is an insurance matter, not an emotional one, and certainly not a "scam".

Totally agree with this, i work for loss adjusters and we would refer them to their own Insurers.
  • Freecall
    Freecall Posts: 1,306 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I thought this was a money saving forum not a scam, how to get away without paying for something you have done or caused forum?

I really don't understand your comment. How on earth is this a scam.

Unless the OP has been negligent in some way how can they possibly be liable?

From what they say, they acted promptly to correct the problem as soon as it was brought to their attention.

What else could they have done?
  • MisterB1959
    MisterB1959 Posts: 158 Forumite
    edited 26 May 2015 at 6:11AM
    Options
    they could pay for the damage/repairs that THEIR leak has caused. it doesn't matter if they didn't know about it, why should the downstairs flat incur cost or claim on their own insurance for something beyond their control and responsibility. this isn't a leaking roof, its a leak from someone elses property into theirs. whoever has responsibility for the leak should be the one who pays for the repairs. what if the flat downstairs has their insurance premiums rise as a result of this claim (having made previous claims) - is it fair that this should happen?

as for an insurance loss adjuster suggesting that the insurance company would not try to seek redress from the 'cause' when it can be clearly indentified where the 'loss' came from and simply pay any claim out is a new one on me. I really should ensure my policies have the bits where it says that if I damage someone elses property, whether knowingly, intentional or otherwise, I will NOT be responsible for any loss suffered. I could understand it if the claim was passed to the insurers of the flat upstairs, but I revert to my original position which is, why should the downstairs flat, who are the 'innocent party', suffer ANY loss, even though the upstairs flat owners were totally unaware of their leak.

as for the 'scam' - whenever someone tries to shirk responsibility and wont pay for something they should or try to get out of paying, and the innocent party suffers a loss, then to me its a scam.

if a tile blew off my roof in stormy weather and damaged your parked car below, who would pay any claim? would you expect to claim on your own insurance and potentially suffer increased premiums or would you expect the insurance company of the property to pay out? if you only had third party cover, how would you expect to recover your 'loss'?

do the right thing, pay up or pass it to your insurance company for them to resolve!
  • DaftyDuck
    DaftyDuck Posts: 4,609 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Can't be bothered to read all the waffle, most of which is a repost of your errant view.

But, if a tile blew off your roof and damaged my car, I'd expect to claim off my own insurance.... unless your roof was in clear disrepair.

Righteous indignation isn't ... right.
  • eddddy
    eddddy Posts: 16,448 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    do the right thing, pay up or pass it to your insurance company for them to resolve!

Hi MisterB

The OP could certainly pay their neighbours repair bill if they wanted to, but it would be a gesture of goodwill. The OP has no legal liability to pay (unless the OP was negligent).

I've come across a number of people who have made gestures of goodwill in these types of circumstances.

However, there is no point in the OP contacting their insurers. No insurance policy will refund 'goodwill payments' made by their policy holders to third parties.
  • Freecall
    Freecall Posts: 1,306 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I think that MisterB1959 has got the idea from somewhere that any loss has to automatically be somebody's fault.

This is a myth of our time. A generation ago nobody thought that way.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure