Redundancy and PILON

Options
Hi I work at a college that has just merged so mass redundancies are happening out of my department of 3 myself and my colleague are being made redundant but out real leader is staying.

It states that they want the new structure in place by 1st August therefore we presume the leaving date will be 31 July.

I have worked here for 24 years however now only work 15 hrs therefore my statutory redundancy pay is abismal, my contract states that I will receive 12 weeks paid notice I am hoping that I will receive this as PILON as they have done this many times in the past but I'm worried that they may make me work this, can they do this? make me work longer than my colleague who has only been here 3 years therefore is entitled to one months notice?

Thanks
Natalie

Comments

• McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,823 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Yes, they can make you work it if they are paying you.

Re your colleague, if you flip the question, if they do pay pilon, you will get 12 weeks pay, colleague will only get 4.
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    if they want you terminated 31st July and work your notice then they need to put you on notice by 8th May(woops that's gone).

if the merger has just happened the is likley a 30/45day consultation to go first as well.

For large numbers with different notice periods full PILON can be the simple solution to a admin nightmare.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure