Millionaire Challenge

Options

Comments

• CornishOptimist
    Options
    Thanks LL for the advice and encouragement.

With what you're currently going through I do appreciate it!

Had a couple of NSD's this week so that has helped alot. OH won a competition where we get a free hotel for the weekend in Central London :D So July we get a cut price weekend away.

Were not high earners and we dont have alot of savings (that arent tied up for other stuff already) but we have no debt, so thats the main bonus!

Still working on being good and being frugal

CO
  • FunLovinCriminal
    Options
    Hi LL
    Many thanks for the encouragment, however I think £1million is a few steps too far - I would love everything that it would bring, but feel its an impossibility.
    I'm approaching 39, with first child on the way. We have a £8k car loan (OH), my car has about 1-2 years before I would need to change it, and a £108k mortgage - we recently remortgaged to improve the house prior to Little FLC's arrival.
    Any tips would be greatfully received, I think I have cut back on all I can, however I am determined to review the finances in the days before little one arrives and my paternity leave.
    FLC
    Mortgage: 01/02/14 - £108k
    Mortgage: Current - £97k
    Mission: MF by 50
  • lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 26 May 2014 at 11:07AM
    Options
    Good morning all

FLC - sorry don't have any special tips or secrets nor do I have any magic formula. The best advice I can give is earn as much as you can (er obviously) but more importantly hold on to it and more importantly still make what you have grow…...

I think the biggest thing for me has been about micro managing what I have and being really strict about cash flow. Not having a good cash flow is what breaks so many businesses and also poor cash flow can ruin personal and household finances too. Having a dollop of cash at your disposal also means being able to take advantage of any opportunities that come your way.

So a bit of hard work and a bit of frugal living, then you can clear any debts and then start to build up some savings. Then when you have some savings under your belt then you can start investing.

I can't and won't ever give investment advice. How we invest needs to be based on our own circumstances and needs.

FLC - you have already started well - you have invested in a home of your own.

I think the best thing is to read up as much as you can.

For practical advice and know how - follow the money columns in the quality press. Keep up with current affairs, both in the economic and political spheres and in the business world. Know what's what.

Keep a weather eye on cultural trends - the worlds of entertainment, leisure pursuits, fashion etc. This shows where and how money is being spent and you might get some money making ideas by being a trend spotter.

Read some good money management books and of course before you really get going, some good tax guides. Familiarise yourself with basic tax law and accounting procedures.

For inspiration and motivation read some biographies of people you admire, and some good business books.

There are loads of books out there - one of my favourites is "The Rules of Wealth" by Richard Templar. A little book that you can just dip in and out of when you need a little boost.

Also the "Millionaire Next Door" - American and it does waffle on about the American car industry a bit but the basic principles still apply in the UK.

Also "The Case For Working with your Hands" - again American, talks about second income streams and niche markets. It also has some very interesting points to make about global capitalism and the very nature and future of employment.

Don't forget TV - there are some really good quality TV documentaries - a great source of knowledge and inspiration.

And, for the best source of knowledge there is - the internet. I just wish it had been invented when I was young and starting out. I think a lot of young people who moan about their lot in life just don't realise what a valuable tool they have at their finger tips.

I personally think that everyone who is under retirement age - employed or self employed - should think very carefully about the future, i.e. where the jobs are going to be, what skills and knowledge they are going to require, the effects of outsourcing and technology. The world of work and business has changed so much since I was 40, let alone 20 and it will continue to change and evolve at a dizzying speed.

If I were to advise my younger self this is what I would say.

Plan for the worst and hope for the best.

Protect what you have - don't waste it, spend and invest wisely. Learn about tax etc Think about cash flow and micro manage your money. Take out income protection insurance - you never know what's around the corner.

Don't be a one trick pony.

Invest in yourself - acquire knowledge and skills which can adapt to changing circumstances. If what you do can be done either online or outsourced then your future is at risk from technological advances and shifts in the global economy.

Don't put all your eggs in one basket.

Build up multiple income streams. If one income stream dries up then you have something else to fall back on. Same with investments - spread the risk.

No-one should feel intimated by that figure of £1m - by the time you come up to retirement millionaires will probably be ten a penny:rotfl:

I am nearly 63. I doubt that I shall make £1m - although never say never. :D As long as I can live comfortably and well then I shall be happy. There are plenty of people who will never reach a million but who are "comfortable".

£1m for me is just a nice round figure, a symbol if you like of something to aim for. If I make it great. If I only make £500k then that will be ok. If I make more than £1m - well that's even better.

My own personal target when we started this thread was a net worth of £300K by the time I'm 70.

I'm on my way. ;)
  • lessonlearned
    Options
    Had a couple of NSD's this week so that has helped alot. OH won a competition where we get a free hotel for the weekend in Central London :D So July we get a cut price weekend away.

CO

Wow - great prize. Have a lovely time.

I've been fairly frugal this week…..although I had a little splurge.

Bought a new slow cooker and a steamer - for both healthy and economical cooking:rotfl:

I needed a black jacket for funeral. I hate black and never wear it so only paid £4 from a charity shop. Will keep it at the back of the wardrobe just in case I need it again.

Then I was very naughty and bought two pairs of shoes :shhh: They are very pretty so I've decided they can be my birthday present - with lots of love from me to me…….:rotfl:
  • tinktay84
    tinktay84 Posts: 299 Forumite
    Options
    Hi everyone, hope you are all well. Have only glanced at the posts so far while I have a minute.

Well this time next week I will be moving myself and the kids back into OUR family home and he will be moving out. Im currently in a state of suspension as I cant pack anything as everything is either in storage or in use.I have rallied the troops so in exchange for all my girls helping me get everything into the house on Sunday I will be providing food and drinks.

Workwise ive had to ask another plasterer to quote for some work as we are so busy!Not a female plasterer but that's no problem.

I still cant decide if im mid breakdown or genuinely happy! ha
    Ive got 4 weeks of college left, the last of which I will have to miss due to work commitments. The tutor is impressed with my work as I come across as a bit of a clown at college and like im not really paying attention but im always the first to skim the wall etc and its usually pretty much bob on. Don't get me wrong im not loud or disruptive I just struggle with my attention span (it has been suggested that I suffer a mild form of autism which accounts for a fair few things in my life haha!
    trainee millionaire (aka not there yet!)
  • FunLovinCriminal
    Options
    Hi LessonLearned
    Thanks for the advice. A magic formula would have been awesome, shame.
    Downloaded samples of the books you recommended, as well as reviewing the Money Diet. I am currently searching for torrents to see if I can get them for free :)
    For me its how big a dollup of cash to save, my OH isnt really fully behind my scheme's she is of the opinion we work hard so we should enjoy ourselves, and while I am with her on principle, I would also love to put some aside and get rid of the mortgage, which would give us plenty of extra fun tokens (£££) to play around with - OH opinion, mortgages are a fact of life, and we need to have them!
    Oh well...
    So in 24hrs I will have another mouth to feed, so I shall look at my spreadsheet and try and find more revenue streams.
    We are in SimplyHealth who pay out when little FLC arrives, £300, but its better than nothing. I've recently joined the union at work, as part of their membership they review if you are entitled to a tax rebate - neither of us are. Next step is to use their free will writing service.
    Take care one and all
    FLC
    Mortgage: 01/02/14 - £108k
    Mortgage: Current - £97k
    Mission: MF by 50
  • CornishOptimist
    Options
    I do love reading this thread more than any other. I think its because its a big pep talk, people encouraging others!

The one thing that I have learned from this thread is that the world changes quicker than you think, so don't be afraid to adapt. I intend to invest in some books on the subject of wealth creation.

Another big step I am considering is up-skilling and retraining. I currently have a job which requires no formal qualifications (I got 10 GCSE's A*-C and 3 A Levels A-C at school) and I am considering a change for our future income security. The only problem is that in the shorter term, I would be bringing in less income as I would be a trainee and it could affect our ability to get a mortgage within the next 12 months.

So the plan:
    Start (paid for by me) training and get Level 1 qualification in my chosen field.
    Get Married in May 2015!!
    Get a house (Between May 2015 and December 2015)
    Sometime in 2016 consider the move to a new career.

At the moment its all pie in the sky, but you don't move forward by standing still do you?

CO
  • lessonlearned
    Options

The one thing that I have learned from this thread is that the world changes quicker than you think, so don't be afraid to adapt.

At the moment its all pie in the sky, but you don't move forward by standing still do you?

CO

Life can be a roller coaster and it can turn on a sixpence - sometimes good, sometimes bad. Like you say Cornish - you have to adapt and not let fear hold you back.

"Just roll with the punches" as my ex boxer Godfather would say.

Your plan doesn't sound like pie in the sky at all - eminently do-able. I agree get the mortgage first before you take a pay cut. You can then figure out how to find the extra income you need to make up the shortfall of the day job.

Not much happening here - just popped in to wish Tink well on the house move. You'll feel much better and happier once you are all back in your own little nest. Good to see the course is going well - I desperately need a decent plasterer (been let down yet again). Pity you are not local to me I'd sign you up in a shot:D

2nd fix electrics yesterday but as I said I've been let down again - again by a plasterer. :mad: It's getting a bit beyond a joke. I need to do progress chasing on the build but not today. I need time out.

OH is going steadily downhill so I'm being stretched and pulled in all directions. I've decided to rest up for a few days and then I can get back to it next week.

FLC - hope all is well - let us know when baby FLC makes an appearance.

How large a of dollop of savings is up to you but don't forget it is good to have an emergency fund - just in case.

Re paying off the mortgage. It all depends really. Some people see a mortgage as debt, some see mortgages as leverage. Only you can decide which camp you fall into. There's a lot to take into account - the terms and conditions of your current mortgage, the interest you are paying etc. Have a look at the Mortgage Free board to get some ideas.

Right - coffee break over - time to get on with the day…..
  • gothrockchic1
    gothrockchic1 Posts: 1,959 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I was thinking of starting my own millionaire thread. I hope you don't mind Tink. :)
  • Kayalana99
    Kayalana99 Posts: 3,626 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I desperately need a decent plasterer (been let down yet again). Pity you are not local to me I'd sign you up in a shot:D

Wasn't planning on posting but my Dad has a plasterer who I have also used before, I am *sure* from somewhere that you aren't that far away from me ? We are in Derby area so if you think that is local enough for you I will get the details but doesn't make a difference either way to me! :D

The annoying thing about my Dad is he believes in recommending people as he thinks(rightly probably) if he gets them business they will get him business...but I have got burnt this way before because he recommends people he hasn't used but is friends with... but I can guarantee if my Dad uses them himself you will have no problems whatsoever.
    People don't know what they want until you show them.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback