remote heating controls

Options
We are converting some apartments on the Welsh coast for holiday rentals.

I would like some sort of remote (Hive/Nest???) control for the heating so that we can control it remotely from my phone.

There are two 2bed apartments with combi boilers and a 4bed with a system boiler.

Any suggestions as to which will be suitable.
There will be wi-fi on site

Comments

• Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Both I should imagine.

We have Hive and have controlled our heating from Australia. Hive requires a wired ethernet connection to the hub and a nearby mains outlet, although the thermostat is wireless and can go virtually anywhere.

I'm not sure how the phone app would cope with more than one account though.
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 47,057 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    I'm not sure how the phone app would cope with more than one account though.

You could have a different account for each property and then log in to the correct account. Alternatively, have each property on separate devices.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 47,057 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Thinking about our set up, we have two boilers on one account. I don't know whether it is significant that they are both connected to the same wifi router.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • J_B
    J_B Posts: 6,453 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks all thus far

In the Easyjet in-flight magazine (of course) at the weekend, was an ad for one from Honeywell.

Does anyone have any experience with them?

:)
  • Kiran
    Kiran Posts: 1,370 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Yes, the advantage to the Honeywell system is that it allows each room with the TRV to be controlled as a zone. Its a good system, quite expensive though and not likely to be required in apartments. As in you would not be able to have a bedroom at 19 and a living space at 25 as they would conflict (I'm not suggesting these are sensible temperatures)
    Some people don't exaggerate........... They just remember big!
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    Think through your requirements at a property and room level.

Also remote unoccupied with local controls during lets.
  • JJWW
    JJWW Posts: 22 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
  • J_B
    J_B Posts: 6,453 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Just dragging this up again (sorry) as plumber and sparky have no real preference.
    Reading reviews on Hive vs Nest ... Nest keeps on about being a 'learning thermostat' which we don't need for holiday lets, whereas the Hive was described and 'really simple to use' which may be easier for clients.

Any experience of the above thoughts?
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 24 November 2017 at 11:29AM
    Options
    Hive is dead easy to use and there are some excellent "Black Friday" deals on them on Amazon at the moment.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hive-Active-Heating-Professional-Installation/dp/B011B3J6F4

If your guests get stuck, they can always ring you up and get you to programme the Hive for them remotely.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure