can't afford to live on SSP

Options

Comments

• dawsss18
    Options
    nannytone wrote: »
    im not judging.

but as they have found out, they are entitled to very little ( possibly some help with rent, depending on how much you earn)

in future it may be prudent to put something aside to cover such periods of emergency

they need to pay priority debts ( rent council tax etc)
    all other debts can be left until they return to work.
    make sure they call their creditors to explain the situation and ask for a payment break/reduced payments.

I'm sorry if you don't appreciate the above budgeting help, but it is all anyone can tell you really.

Thank you, i'll just have to help them as much as I can.
  • SparklesJD
    SparklesJD Posts: 85 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 17 October 2016 at 8:11PM
    Options
    Have a look at turn2us.org.uk for benefit entitlement and it might be worth calling/visiting CAB.

Do their companies have welfare schemes or advisers that they can access? Or a HR / occupational health department? While they're off sick, they're still accruing holiday and some employers would consider paying some of that leave as a lump sum (many won't, as it's a bit of a grey area, legally).

Are the doctors willing to consider a phased return to work? Would their employers look at lighter duties while they rehabilitate? And/or less hours? Do they have pensions? They'd need proper advice (from an approved IFA), but some schemes let you access them earlier for ill health (although it may depend on how long your father's likely to be off).

Also, there are often local charities that offer hardship grants. Citizens Advice, Churches, local Voluntary Action groups, local authorities and libraries usually have information about things in the area. Utility companies often have grant schemes too. Never pay for information about such schemes or for help applying.

I'm not judging, (they could spend their money on booze, hookers and drugs for all I care), but it really would be worthwhile looking at a money plan. Any grants or assistance they'd be applying for would usually want to see this, plus there are probably quite a few areas where they can save money - utilities, etc. and when they return to work, they could start to put some of the extra money aside in case of future emergencies.
    Worker in, and passionate advocate of, the credit union movement. I don't speak for the sector or for any individual CU. My opinions & experiences are my own.

Search MSE for more info about CUs and find ones that cover your area by searching online for 'find your credit union'.
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,825 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If you are living with them then you cant have that many bills. Payback time for some short while.

You need to support them as much as you can financially, after all, they will have spent thousands and thousands on bringing you up.
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,426 Forumite
    Options
    The rent is £650 a month but as the third adult working full time, presumably you are normally paying a third of that and a third share of all other utility bills, council tax etc?
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,825 Forumite
    Options
    So even under normal circumstances when everyone is working you should be paying at least 100 a week bed and board.......
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,967 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    xylophone wrote: »
    The rent is £650 a month but as the third adult working full time, presumably you are normally paying a third of that and a third share of all other utility bills, council tax etc?
    McKneff wrote: »
    So even under normal circumstances when everyone is working you should be paying at least 100 a week bed and board.......

Maybe the parents earn enough normally to not consider asking their son for any board.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • enthusiasticsaver
    Options
    If you live with them you should be contributing towards rent and bills.

Rent, council tax, utilities are main ones first.

I would also express surprise that on £3k per month and only £650 rent they have no savings and are approaching retirement. If the illness leads to early retirement do they have company pensions they can draw on?
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,426 Forumite
    Options
    Maybe the parents earn enough normally to not consider asking their son for any board.

Then he counts himself lucky and pays the lion's share of the rent and bills in his parents' time of need?

And it is worrying that his parents have no emergency savings.
  • LABMAN
    LABMAN Posts: 1,659 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    dawssss18 it's payback time....dig deep!
  • Sncjw
    Sncjw Posts: 3,509 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Wonder how big the Debts are if they couldn't afford to pay it off earning 3k a month
    Mortgage free wannabe 

Actual mortgage stating amount £75,150

Overpayment start date 1/3/23.

Starting balance £66,565.45

Current balance £63,787.16

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts