Private Sellers / Auto Trader

Options
Pepperoni
Pepperoni Posts: 461 Forumite
Debt-free and Proud!
Hi,

Does anyone have any advice with regards to buying off a private seller (through auto trader).

Only ever purchased from a garage so not really sure what checks I should do on the car?

And also how payment works....

Thanks
  • [STRIKE]Credit Card: £2,989 / £2,989[/STRIKE]
  • Bank Loan: £12,000 / £14,000

Comments

• D4nny
    D4nny Posts: 128 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If your unsure and your buying locally to you id advise on asking the seller if they would mind meeting you at a garage of your choice who you trust and getting the garage to have a check over the car if not then the rac also come out and do vehicle checks so may be worth going down this route,yes it may cost you but may save you quite abit in the lon run.
  • jaydeeuk1
    jaydeeuk1 Posts: 7,714 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Wouldn't worry about it. If car has a blown bulb or !!!!!! cd player, you can take the buyer to court for it not fit for purpose some weeks later.

If they're anything like some posters on here recently, you'd probably win too.
  • mchale
    mchale Posts: 1,886 Forumite
    Options
    Pepperoni wrote: »
    Hi,

Does anyone have any advice with regards to buying off a private seller (through auto trader).

When ringing up always say you are ringing about the vehicle (ie not make/model) they have for sale, also ask how long they have owned vehicle for & is all paperwork in their name, if they haven't got paperwork in their name & not owned it long chances are they are a dealer.
    ANURADHA KOIRALA ??? go on throw it in google.
  • jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 17,622 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    mchale wrote: »
    When ringing up always say you are ringing about the vehicle (ie not make/model) they have for sale, also ask how long they have owned vehicle for & is all paperwork in their name, if they haven't got paperwork in their name & not owned it long chances are they are a dealer.

If no V5 Or V5 not in their name then I'd walk away.

Ideal private seller is one who has owner car for long time, has pile of receipts and service history. I buy on the seller as much as the car itself.
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
  • prosaver
    prosaver Posts: 7,026 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I went to buy one and he pretended the key was unlocking the door, then took me for a spin...i decided he was to dodgy to deal with and said didnt want it,
    he started moaning and everything. After a few words, I thought ive had enough of this ....and i started slagging him off saying he was a con man, and saying you were pretending the locks were ok, when i think about it now ,it was quite funny.
    Anyway dont waste you time and go to a second hand garage. at least you get some sort of guarantee...good lock
    “Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself.”
    ― George Bernard Shaw
  • s_b
    s_b Posts: 4,463 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Pepperoni wrote: »
    Hi,

Does anyone have any advice with regards to buying off a private seller (through auto trader).put their phone number into google see if they have history of selling cars so they are trading unfairly to deny you your consumer rights

Only ever purchased from a garage so not really sure what checks I should do on the car? assaid get an inspection done by a local garage if car worth more than 500 notes

And also how payment works....its called money,a coloured paper kind of thing with strange characters embedded on it

Thanks

please see red bits.:)
  • colino
    colino Posts: 5,059 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    If you are a privateer buying through Autotrader, you could actually spend some time reading through Autotraders guidance for buyers. Only useful extra would be to carry out your own HPI direct, not one through them or any other third party.
  • Hoof_Hearted
    Hoof_Hearted Posts: 2,361 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 5 March 2015 at 12:16PM
    Options
    Only buy from the owners address, not a lay by, and check the address matches the V5. With the V5 number & reg no., you can check the MoT history online. Make a judgement about the seller as well as the car.

Do read the MSE rules for car buying here.
    Je suis sabot...
  • almillar
    almillar Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Plenty of good stuff above, especially for before even turning up to look at a car.
    All a private trader is obliged to do, is tell you the truth. 'Do the electric windows work?' 'Yes' etc. If you're lied to here, you would have a case against him. But on the other hand, if you ask questions like 'is the turbo about to blow' no-one can answer that. So you need to turn up, ask lots of questions, and inspect every element of the car that's important to you. If you don't know what the inside of the oil cap should look like, you should bring someone with you that knows about cars, or pay the premium, and keep buying from dealers. If you don't get your hands dirty during a private purchase, you're porbably doing it wrong!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure